Monday, August 15, 2011

Born Again

*phew* So glad that I finally published those comments that were nearly YEARS old. Wouldn't want things to get stale around here...

Anyway - the good news is that I'M BACK! The bad news is that I'M BACK! Soooo...that whole working for a living thing? Apparently doesn't work out so well for me. Even when I don't quit. Apparently people simply do not want me around. Or rather, they do not want to pay me to stick around + do work-like things for them. I should clarify...my previous 2 jobs I was the one that ended things - I was the dumper, they the dumpee, so to speak. This time - I got dumped. I keep saying that I was "canned" - but I really wasn't. I should probably stop saying that - it just comes out of my mouth because I perceive that it gives me some edge. Like, I'm too hardcore to work + I went out in a blaze of delicious glory! Except the truth is less glamour-rama. I was made redundant as my entire department was eliminated [entire department being 2 people]. So...there's that.

I won't bore you with the gory details, but I actually have known about this for some time. In March the manager of our wee department was told that they wouldn't be renewing her contract. I was not on contract, but I knew then that my time was limited. In May - the same day I was to leave for a holiday in England - like an hour before I was leaving - TPTB informed me that my services were no longer needed. I stayed on until August 12th to wrap up the remaining membership growth projects. And now here we sit...August 15th + totally directionless.

I must say that I did not anticipate that I would abandon the blog so severely. I had forgotten my log in information + password. I feel bad that I abandoned those who read my blog, except for Jen who became FB friends with me. I'm going to have to reach out + issue real, non-phony apologies. I guess I thought that even though I was working full time I would have time for this, but now I know better. I be a fair-weather blogger. Also, any readers I happen to catch will have to put up with me learning how to do everything all over again. I can't figure out how to post pictures or anything...

And where am I headed now? Well, to be honest, I am not sure. I'm thinking that I've soured on not-for-profit organizations a bit. And female-dominated workplaces. I might need a break from both. Everyone @ work was asking me "what's next?" + I truthfully have no clue. I used to think I had those answers, but I know better now. Because I don't have a clear profession, I have no clear direction. I've considered becoming a profession - it seems easier for the job hunt portion of life anyway [which seems to be a lot of my life]. I want to pick up the blog where I left off - telling people about the job hunt + interviews + all those zany things that have been the hallmark of The Unemployed Elitist. Also, blogging about random crap which is still: baseball, pop culture + ranting about my neighbours [I've moved, but still have neighbour issues because I'm just that lucky + history repeats itself]...

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back!

    (And you start with figuring out what skills & accomplishments you have & thus what you can bring to a new job.)

    How was England?

    ReplyDelete