Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Death Comes To Town

I like to think that I have a pretty good sense of humour. People often tell me that I'm pretty funny, although I don't really agree. All of my humour is blatantly stolen from those infinitely more talented. In a work environment usually it's pretty quickly established that I'm the funny one [and the one who knows everything about hot celeb gossip]. This ends up putting a lot of pressure on me to put any number of witty things in office birthday cards and the like. Inevitably I can't live up to this. Due to me not really being funny, see. I do have an extensive knowledge of TV shows and their quotes and if I see a good bit on Conan or Dave or Colbert, I can amend it to suit my needs [I do give credit].

Luckily Joseph and I have pretty similar tastes in comedy [as we do in most things]...with some rather notable differences. At the moment Joseph quite likes the Venture Brothers - an animated show that I think just goes right over my head. I spend too much time thinking "why is this funny?" instead of just laughing. Not a good sign. Another one is Monty Python. My dad was also a fan of this and I didn't understand it as a kid...age has not got me wise to it. I still don't know why it's funny. Joseph is particularly perplexed at this as he knows that I am a fan of absurdist, surreal humour.

At the moment there's not a lot new under the sun that makes me laugh. There's the late night shows that tickle my fancy - I seem to especially get the giggles watching Craig Ferguson these days [things on Conan are understandably tense - and Dave is fantastic with his caustic take on the whole sorry situation - loved his Leno impression last night]. Fox's animation Sundays are less than fantastic these days - I still watch the Simpsons and I adore American Dad, but that's about it. The Office is just okay for me right now [depending on the level of smug coming from Jim and Pam], but 30 Rock tends to hit the spot. And DOOL provides some unintentional laughs on a daily basis. So perhaps this is why I'm so psyched for the [temporary] return of comedy troupe extraordinaire Kids In The Hall returning for an eight-part miniseries, starting tonight. While it can't come close to touching their original show, I have great expectations [of course, we've talked about how this is dangerous]. It's a Canadian show, although I'm aware that they have a cult following in America - I'm not sure it will be airing there [on internets, perhaps]. It's pretty exciting to watch something actually Canadian for once. And I'm optimistic that Joseph will enjoy it as much as I do...

3 comments:

  1. I'll admit that I haven't watched him recently, but Craig Ferguson has always gotten on my nerves. I don't know what it is about him, but he's always rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps, he's due for second chance viewing...
    I totally agree with you on The Office. Besides the wedding episode, this season has been lackluster. And I love 30 Rock. We've also been getting laughs from Community and Parks & Rec (which is approximately a trillion times funnier this season).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to find something witty to put on office birthday/goodbye cards. Just ask Michael Scott. (Or, perhaps, don't.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't related to this post, but how's the new job going?

    ReplyDelete