Monday, January 4, 2010

Holiday Stuff From All Over

I'm far, far too lazy to give an accurate recap of everything that's been going on since I last posted...so I'm going to offer up a bit of Stuff From All Over. In my non-holiday related life - I am still waiting to hear from two of the job opportunities and I have officially quit the Gap. I'm sorry that working there didn't yield a good amount of interesting stories or horror tales of human behaviour...sorry and surprised @ how well-mannered everyone was this holiday season. I will miss the giant discount - I'm not sure I'll be willing/physically able to pay full regular Gap price for merchandise ever again. My consumption needed to be curbed anyway. And yes, that means that I did get an offer from Girl Guides of Canada - they couriered the contract over on the day before xmas - it was a bit like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I have verbally accepted their offer, but, as previously mentioned, I'm still playing the waiting game with the others. Okay, on with the show:

- Before xmas I got the surprise of my life when two friendly elves delivered unto me a big screen television! Those who know me know that I love my TV. I love this one so much. Sometimes I love to stare @ it, even when it's off. And no, this doesn't mean that Joseph and I have started exchanging xmas gifts - it is a shared gift, but a definite surprise for me [and I do love me a surprise], so that counts extra. After xmas I tried to surprise Joseph by booking us into a four-star hotel in Yorkville for a few days. I succeeded in the surprise, but mostly I know he would have preferred to stay home with the big TV instead of packing up yet again. We had fun though - private rooftop swimming, eating pho and CNN New Year, fancy Indian dinner and then a movie [more on that later]...not too shabby for us. Also, the quiet. Love that [so did my migraine].

- Xmas in Hanover was okay, though travelling there sucked both coming and going. Lots of snow though, which is lovely for the actual holiday and then some. Everyone seemed to enjoy their gifts and we got nice stuff too, including video games to play on the new big TV and a big gift card for IKEA - additional motivation for us to move on up and out.

- I think I've gained a million pounds. I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday and I'm terrified that I won't be clocking in @ my standard weight. It's rare for me to gain weight over the holidays as I don't generally partake in the eating of any xmas or xmas-related dinners [at one of our "big dinners" I only ate some corn niblets and a bit of mashed potato - the only two things not completely meat-laden]. This year, however, was awash in noggy goodness and nacho goodness and all manner of tasty treats. I'm on full detox and back to my straight edge lifestyle as of today.

- In total I saw about a million films [no hyperbole] over the holidays. This factored in to the big TV point and also the horrible food point. Lots of movie food. In the cinema I saw Sherlock Holmes [with my mum!] and then Avatar on New Years Day [a surprising thumbs up to Sherlock Holmes, a non-surprising thumbs down to Avatar]. Hanover tends to be a total newshole and my mum gets too many TV channels [yes, such a thing is possible], so we ended up watching a lot of films...lots.

- This needs to be a separate point because it's important and about Star Wars. Anyway, on December 30th Joseph and I succeeded in watching all six Star Wars films in a single day. We didn't start until 11am [late start due to McDo breakfast] and finished around 3am due to some mishaps along the way [for the first four films we were just trucking along - despite noise ALL DAY from neighbours]. I still love Star Wars...so much so that on New Years Day we watched Return of the Jedi again. I don't think this will be come an annual tradition as it was quite grueling [I'm not joking - it was not the easiest thing ever, even though it was just watching six movies]...but it was fun while it lasted and really made us feel like we had accomplished something.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the job! It sounds like you had a good holiday. And congratulations on the Star Wars marathon - I know I couldn't do it all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the offer! I hope everything works out well for you.

    Your Yorkville getaway sounds lovely. :)

    I hear ya about the holiday travel. The roads were especially terrible when we came back from Michigan. Scary stuff.

    Congrats on the TV! Fun stuff! We got a Wii for Christmas and we've been playing nonstop!

    And I'm glad to hear that Sherlock Holmes was good. I've been wondering if I should see it. I have absolutely no desire to see Avatar.

    Also, congrats on the Star Wars marathon. I hate to even admit it, but I haven't seen all of them. It's ridiculous, I know. We tried to do a LOTR marathon a while back, but didn't quite make it in a day. So, kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't worry about not seeing Phantom Menace - I've only seen that one in its entirety twice now and I still think it sucks [Ewan McGregor is cute and non-beardy in it though and Natalie Portman, as always, is a stunner].

    I would only recommend Avatar for the effects - make sure you see it in 3D or 3D IMAX. The storyline is incredibly meh and insulting.

    The TV is like our baby...it's pretty sad. I noticed so many things on our Star Wars DVDs that I've been missing - and I've seen those films dozens of times in the past two years.

    On our way out of Toronto it was actually our local public transit that screwed us, but thankfully other inconsiderate people were late for our bus to Hanover. On the way back we were delayed by the Olympic torch and bad weather - that of course disappeared by the time we reached the outskirts of Toronto.

    ReplyDelete