Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fashion Statement

Today I had my annual physical - which is exactly as much fun as it sounds. Truthily, I don't mind it and I think people make a far bigger deal out if it than it really is [both men and women]. For me, the worst part is the paper gown. Today the office seemed especially empty [it's a big practice - ten doctors and lots of obstetrics patients - I tend to be the only one with unfertilized eggs in the waiting room], so they did my weight and other prep stuff and led me into the actual room [which was fine because the waiting room has been cleared of reading materials due to concerns over flu]. As the nurse person led me into the room and set out the gown and "blanket" [also made of creepy paper] she said that I wasn't to take the gown home with me. She didn't seem to get the joke when I asked if that was a major problem they had - people taking the gowns home. I can just picture myself relaxing in front of the television in my super cozy paper gown...I wonder if they come in Snuggie/Slanket form? I ended up waiting 20 minutes for my doctor so I made the bottom of the gown into an attractive fringe.

However, I don't think there's anything else in the world that makes you feel quite as vulnerable as sitting in that tiny doctor room, under the fluorescent lights and wearing the paper gown [I accessorized with my plastic heart earrings and blue aeroplane socks]. Things don't improve with the looming presence of the stirrups. I dunno - I just feel like a bag of meat in that situation. I felt perfectly fine going in - eye makeup particularly stunning, my long luxurious hippie hair freshly washed, skinny pants and fur-trimmed boots...but then, in a matter of seconds I'm reduced to just a lump of flesh. I must admit, I don't love that feeling - I think that's the worst part about a visit to the doctor.

My health seems to be quite good - nothing for my doctor to lecture me on - I don't smoke, drink or do recreational drugs - I eat well and try to exercise [okay, I've been slacking in that department and it showed in my weigh in]. I did find out that I do have a curl in my spine [it was pointed out a couple of years ago by a massage therapist who gave me the worst massage ever], although it's not severe enough to harm me - aside from making my right shoe wear out faster than the left [I might get some inserts in my new medical benefits cover them]. I got some new meds. My doctor also told me about a recent study linking high protein breakfasts to a reduction in the frequency and severity of migraines. I'm going to try it out, even though I'm not much of a breakfast person and I do find protein to be too filling.

Now I'm on to the unenviable task of taking down the xmas tree...

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I absolutely hate going to the doctor. It makes me terribly uncomfortable. Plus, I am a bit of a germaphobe and being around other sickies in the waiting room makes me squirm (even if I'm sick, too). On top of that, I have a hard time forking over a good chunk of change for a doctor's visit. I have to be seriously sick (or slightly overdue for a physical) to go at all.

    PS-I, too, think the paper gowns are just awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE paper gowns!

    For a regular physical, my primary care doctor doesn't have me disrobe completely...just down to undergarments. The OB/GYN uses disposable "tops", but real fabric throws for the bottom half. That makes it a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never go to the doctors when I'm regular sick. I go for my migraines and sometimes mood [not much on that these days - I've given up medicating that]...but I don't think I've ever been for a flu or strep throat or anything very timely.

    I'm not a germaphobe, but I hate sitting in the waiting room with other potential sickies and babies/toddlers [they are the biggest little disease bags ever]. It was especially bad during the height of H1N1 - they had all these signs and masks available - made me paranoid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My doctor doesn't use the paper gowns - you wrap yourself in a sheet instead. Of course, she just moved from her office to a clinic, so that might have changed.

    My biggest pet peeve about going to the doctor is the waiting - in the waiting room, then in the examination room waiting for her to show up. I've been to so many appointments in the past year that I've learned to bring either a book or my DS to entertain myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My doctor is generally pretty speedy and sticks to the appointment calendar. This time she was about 20 minutes behind schedule...I find the shuffling from room to room makes the wait seem less.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My doctor is pretty good about being on schedule, but there has been the occasional time where she's behind. The worst, though, is things like blood tests, because it's first-come, first-served.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a little lab in my doctor's office. Unfortunately there is never a line up. I hate giving blood - I bruise like a peach and it hurts a lot. Also, with my low blood flow it's apparently quite difficult to find a vein.

    ReplyDelete