[stupid Blogger eating my brilliant post!]
So NBC is really working to get on my bad side these days - first, no feed for DOOL today [and I missed it yesterday and will soon be missing it daily as I have no means to record it while I'm @ work]...and, oh yeah, totally screwing over yet another talented late night TV host. Boo-urns! Last night while watching CNN I was totally the lowest common denominator tediously suffering through the serious business news stories to get to the fluff. The fluff being discovering the latest [okay, at this point it was just vicious TMZ gossip, which isn't entirely reputable] on how Jay Leno ruins lives...okay, okay, I'm exaggerating [have we met?]. But I still can't believe that this is happening. Again!
Okay so the current scuttlebutt is that NBC has offered Conan to continue on as host of The Tonight Show, only in the 12:05 slot. If he doesn't want it, he can walk. People who aren't terribly familiar [or don't care] with the late night format might not know that this is a tremendous slap in the face. Sure, it's just 30 minutes...but it's an insult. It occurs to me that in show business [and many other businesses] - the main thing you have is your reputation. If Conan plays his company man role [and he's quite good @ this - look @ the general decline in his performance since taking over The Tonight Show - I'm sure it's network executive notes galore up in there - he's so awkward and stilted and not in his normal fun Cone Zone kinda way] and accepts the bump, it's a tarnish to his reputation. And why? To reward Leno for tanking @ 10pm? The whole comedy @ 10pm thing was just an epic fail - I'm not sure anyone would succeed in that role. And for what? To save money by not producing dramas? Well...what is NBC to do now? This all seems like such a knee-jerk reaction to the double dose of bad ratings [Leno and Conan]...why not retool a bit? Ugh. I'm so grossed out by all of this. It's simply too "real world" when all I want is a larf. If I were Conan, I would walk...right back to NYC, that is. I highly doubt this will be the choice he makes - I think he genuinely cares for his staff [heck - they all just moved from NYC - imagine the hassle of new homes, jobs for spouses, schools for children, etc.] and wouldn't want them to get screwed if he jumps ship. Also, as previously mentioned, he's the ultimate company man.
As a related side note, I've fallen head over hells for Craig Ferguson. This happened while I was on holiday in NYC and we watched the whole of The Late Show and then The Late Late Show popped on. I know he's been on for 5+ years, but he's all new to me and it's glorious. His comedic style is so different from any of the current late night shows on my roster - his show is so random and genuinely laugh out loud funny. I giggle constantly. Also, there's puppets!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment