Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Fast Food Nation

I dunno how many people out there watch Oprah [I mean, she does seem to have legit power and influence and yet I know of no one who will admit to watching her - personally I was horrified that the same summer I chose to read Anna Karenina, she chose it as one of her Oprah books and people thought that's why I was reading it], but apparently she's keeping it classy by offering a coupon for a free meal @ KFC. These are truly horrific economic times if the talk show diva can only offer free chicken, not cars. Well, according to my valued sources @ hot celeb gossip central, ONTD, there were riots in the streets today when people were turned away from their local KFCs - with the coupons, not poultry in hand. And yet, perhaps a more valued source, the LA Times, is saying that rumours of a chicken riot are greatly overstated. I didn't bother to check if this offer were available in Canada as I would never eat @ KFC [though back in my pre-vegetarian anorexic phase one of my dear friends used KFC as the go-to location to tempt me into eating supposed actual food - I couldn't resist spicy, crunchy "chicken"]. Also, this coupon was for grilled chicken. Feh - if I want grilled chicken [and I'm pretty sure I never do] it's easy enough to do @ home. If I ever want fried chicken [and maybe I will one day as I've never had good fried chicken, only the KFC variety - mmmm, skin] I may go to KFC as my ass is way too lazy to fry my own chicken [though if I'm going to eat meat, I will probably go more upscale to make it worth the moral issues I may suffer as a result]. I saw a picture of the grilled chicken @ KFC and it really looked as though someone had used a Sharpie to draw on the grill marks. You stay classy KFC.

In other fast food news, today [in Canada anyway] is McHappy Day at McDo [duh]. I was actually vaguely keyed up to go get something greasy and support a good cause [Ronald McDonald Children's Charity - they do very good work and my former boss used to work there, so I feel it's a reputable organization]. However, I went online and learned that nothing I could eat would count towards the charitable donations - just Big Macs [I've never had one] and Happy Meals. I feel they should have made the desserts or milkshakes or fries or breakfast foods [mmmm, McDo breakfast...] or something part of McHappy Day. I'm sure the event was a success and my fat ass doesn't really need fast food anyway. And for the record, I don't think McDo is evil - by and large I feel like they've got a bad rap. But they really need to bring back their vegetarian burgers - they were actually quite tasty and made me feel more virtuous when I was eating my beef-fat soaked fries.

In non-food news I did have a migraine or something quite akin to a migraine yesterday and today. The pain was much milder and I experienced none of the icky side effects like extreme dizziness and throwing up and muscle aches. However, it started before dinner yesterday and carried on through the night and while I slept. I woke up with it, then went back to bed with it and woke up @ 11am with it and I was just sick of it. I suppose I could have soldiered on with it as the pain was bearable, but I was just feeling horrid. So, I piled on with the bigtime meds and went completely loco for a few hours [the medications kinda interact with each other, but I think mostly just make me dizzy in a good, fluttery way and also I act like a weirdo]. After double the time that it usually takes to flush the bigtime meds from my system, I was back to my fighting form, although feeling pretty washed out. *sigh* So, I'm a bit bummed that I still have more tinkering to do with my migraine meds...but I'm going to stick with it.

Oh, and I'm on a west coast road trip with the Blue Jays [okay, from the comfort of my sofa and/or bed] for the remainder of the week. I'm not sure Joseph will tolerate it, but he's out working tonight. I love west coast road trips - staying up until the wee hours of the night to watch pointless baseball games is one of life's simple pleasures.

5 comments:

  1. The thing that ticked me off about that coupon was she didn't say a special coupon printer had to be installed in the computer so I couldn't print it off at the library. Oprah, we don't all have working printers at home!

    I have tried the Grill Chicken before and it IS delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun with you road trip! Haha. I'm still feeling the effects of staying up late for the game on Tuesday and we've got another one tonight. I guess I'll have to wait until the weekend to recuperate...

    PS-That KFC coupon was all the rage here. It was even on last night's news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was actually feeling the effects today too - although with Joseph working late I only stayed up about 45 minutes later than normal...I guess I'm getting old and can't hack it anymore!

    Yes, I heard people complaining that you needed something special to get the coupon. That's pretty silly - but I think Oprah's world view is somewhat skewed in that she thinks everyone has a personal chef and all the other luxuries that she does...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your migraines. I have had them for close to 40 years, and fortunately they have gotten less severe as I've gotten older. If that's any comfort. 8-)

    I take imitrex for my migraines and it really helps but I know it doesn't work for everyone. Your nightmare story reminded me of when I was taking inderal over a period of years to help with the migraines. I would wake up and not know where I was, needing to find my purse and get the hell out of here. My poor husband had a terrible time getting me back in bed because I did not know who he was. Good luck with YOUR med.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, that is the drug that I am taking - inderal. I think it was the combination of that + rizatriptan that pushed me over the line into crazy town. I'm still recovering from chewing up my mouth.

    And yes, migraines tend to come and go through life. A lot of it has to do with hormone levels, which can be difficult to combat until you move into the next phase of life. My current medications really do seem to be helping.

    ReplyDelete