Thursday, May 21, 2009

Heeeeere's Conan!

For me, it's a case of out of sight, out of mind...even with things and people that I do sincerely appreciate and admire. So, Conan has been gone for months now and, other than getting slightly more sleep each night, I haven't thought about him too often. Don't get me wrong, I miss the madcap and at times surrealist humour and Conan's boyish charm...but I can get used to going without things. But now time has really *sneaked* up on me and bam! Conan is back in less than two weeks! And now I can't wait. In yesterday's magazine preview of the trusty New York Times, there was an extensive article on Conan's last day @ Late Night, his transition to LA and what might be in store for the Tonight Show. I can't imagine many of you will be interested as the article is quite long...but I eat up this type of backstage type inside scoop type of information on how tv programs [or films or whatever] are put together. Also, Conan is a cool guy and I'm feeling more confident that he will work it out @ the 11:30 timeslot.

I still face quite the dilemma in terms of what to watch @ 11:30. Dave is obviously one of my TV dads and he and I have built up years of loyalty together. But Conan is Conan. He is my generation's funnyman - the guy that I got, but my dad didn't [though I think he might have come around on this subject matter]. I know it must be a sign of the times and my impending maturity...but it is nice to not have a reason to stay up until 1:30/2am on a semi-regular basis. I mean, I'm still a nightowl, but I aim to be in bed by 1am most nights [even weekends! shock! horror!]. I'm so psyched also to have Andy back - it should be a good deal of hilarious-ness...if I can recover and get used to the whole LA-ness of the show.

In other news...today I had my orientation @ the AGO. I start volunteering tomorrow. I know. It's a beautiful space and I think just being there will give me a bit of a lift each week. I hope. I should probably go see the exhibition I will be attending to over the weekend.

Barack Obama really shouldn't have made that big speech on national security in that big cavernous...cavern today. It made it seem as though he's in the dark talking to no one. Which, sadly...is exactly what's kinda going on. Still, he's a bright guy and all - but perhaps his handlers need some tips on staging. I should point out that I'm unemployed and currently available for exactly this sort of job.

Tonight is my last day without baseball. I'm dying over here. The Blue Jays have dropped both of their games so far in Boston, which is beyond disappointing. But, but, but - the Yankees have won eight in a row! Eight in a row! That's practically unheard of. But yes, baseball will be returning tomorrow night. With a catch. I will be catching the broadcast on an American network...and it's interleague play. Oh, how I do loathe the unnaturalness that is interleague play. However, I'm currently starved for baseball so I'll takes what I can gets.

2 comments:

  1. I just love Conan. But, I'm in bed pretty early most nights and miss him quite often. I must say that I just love the commercials with the different celebrities that NBC has put out. They're hysterical. I especially like the one of Michael Scott in the elevator...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen two or three of those adverts, although I liked what I saw [didn't see the Michael Scott one]. The problem is that our local networks take over the American networks, so we always see Canadian adverts. It sucks for things like SuperBowl where they show new adverts and also for promo type things. And with NBC's Hulu thing - we can't access that here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete