I didn't realize quite how much I missed him until I saw him on Jay Leno on Friday night...but I'm so, so, so over the moon that Conan is back! Conando! No, this will not be an independent review of Conan's performance last night on The Tonight Show. For I am a fangirl and we are not reputable sources of information. Everything was on and popping last night - Andy was back and perfect in his Ed McMahon-esque role, Max was dressed sharp and the band sounded hot [with an extra member] and then there was Conan! Obviously lots of jokes and multiple remote pieces [maybe a few too many - I know that Conan is gold in these, but they can space them out so we can get prolonged enjoyment] - I guess a bit more topical stuff than what Conan normally delivers [though I never fully bought into that argument - he did plenty of political/celebrity related jokes, but just never really carried that into interviews or other comedy pieces, a la Letterman]...but happily not the bland pap typically delivered by a certain former Tonight Show host. It's going to be a tough fight for my attenion @ 11:30 - I do feel that Dave is as sharp as ever and then @ 12:05 Jimmy is a very strong contender. It was bizarre to see Conan so early though - my body clock kept telling me - Conan is on - it's almost 1am - get ready for bed!
And while 1st guest Will Ferrell was jokingly pointing out that no one ever thought Conan would get to this point [hosting The Tonight Show] - it really is true. I've been a fan of Conan's since the very beginning - but things were rough back then. He was basically on a week-to-week contract and was under constant supervision and threats of cancellation for several years. It wasn't an easy road - and I know it takes a lot of skill and luck for anyone to succeed in the entertainment industry [well, unless you are related to or sleeping with the right people...or you're some reality TV ho]. I know that Jon Stewart was fired from several retail jobs for being incompetent @ folding or whatever - and look @ him now. So, yeah - while I know it's lofty and a bit silly, I do find it inspiring when seemingly hard-working, good-natured and no doubt intelligent people succeed. Also, if the masses agree with me that Conan brings the LOLs - then I'm less of a freak than I thought. And, I won't lie - I feel like a total adult watching The Tonight Show!
In other programming news - Campbell Brown was back on CNN last night after her two months of maternity leave. I have nothing against Campbell - I think she's grown a lot as a journalist-type person and I respect that she does proceed with a tough-ish line of questioning. However, over the past two months I got so used to seeing Roland Martin and Friends @ 8pm. At first, I was not a fan - all of these people talking all over each other and shouting...it was like a classier and more professionally dressed Maury Povich. I called Roland out on that and something was done to solve it [obviously because of me]. While the changing group of people sitting @ the table with Roland would occasionally include irritating blonde pundits and conservative gasbags - it also included the lovely Erica Hill and a bevy of other pleasant talking head types. I never cottoned to the whole "call in/Twitter/Facebook us" bits - I feel that cheapens news...because really if I want to hear the opinion of some jackass, I do have internet access - commentary is rarely difficult to locate. But, I did like the musical bumpers, the shouting "holla!" @ Larry King and how it occasionally fell into silliness. It was a pretty vibrant show and I found myself actually watching the full hour. Now, it's back to srs bsns as usual and it's a bit disappointing. Also, too much like AC 360...as much as I love Anderson I feel that show has been lagging lately...we certainly don't need three hours of this type of programming.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment