To say I've never been a fan of Sarah Palin is a massive understatement. Granted, I've only been aware of her presence since August of last year...but yeah, not a fan. Kathy Griffin is beyond appropriate when she simply called her a moron last night on Letterman. Actually Letterman is the reason why I'm blogging right now. Last night with his follow-up comments to his most recent Palin jokes and the subsequent shock-horror that followed prove him to be the true king of late night. He did address the concerns of the Palins...he did acknowledge that the jokes were in poor taste...but he did not apologize outright and he did defend himself [and his occasional lapses in judgement]. To be a truly excellent and legendary comedian - you have to have balls. Comedy is not done right when it is done with cowardice.
In other news, yes Sarah Palin *is* a moron. That being said, I'm pretty sure that she was well aware that Dave was not joking about her young daughter, but instead about her eldest, she of the formerly knocked up and unwed teenager title. Why? Because that's who everyone makes fun of. But no, she and her tool of a husband [thanks again to Kathy Griffin for her succinct description of Todd Palin as simply "a tool"]. But making a fuss about the highest rated talk show host - that will get her press, so she kicks up a mighty stink. Now, I'm not naive enough to believe that all politicians don't do a lot of stuff just for media attention - of course they do. I also hate it when Obama or anyone in his administration lowers themselves to respond to asinine Rush Limbaugh [and yes, I'm making a gross comparison with Dave and Limbaugh - ew, I just grossed myself out]. But to complain about jokes? To go after Dave for his celebrity? It's ridiculous. Sarah Palin is a bigger celebrity than Dave [I mean this in a bad way so please read it with a sense of contempt]. But the worst thing about Sarah Palin? The fact that so many people seem to really enjoy Sarah Palin and appreciate all that she does. That scares the beejesus out of me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm glad I haven't heard ANY of this (except a discussion of Dave's monologue on the radio). Hopefully the whole thing will go away soon.
ReplyDeleteI'm with ya on that one!
ReplyDeleteThis story seems to be everywhere that I look - it's really discusting. Palin is a nutjob - bringing up child abuse and rape...she's crazy. In my opinion, she's the one that needs to apologize to Dave for insinuating he's some dirty old man.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like one of those things I've missed being cut off from the world for 2 weeks. I feel so out of touch.
ReplyDeleteYou've been in a newshole! It's becoming increasingly rare to fall into one...I find that when I'm travelling I still use the same websites, read the same papers and have the same news sources. A few years ago, this was not the case...but with the internets and all...it's truly a global village out there.
ReplyDeleteYes, I had internet access on the boat, but it was around $0.50 a minute (and slow), so I basically updated my blog, read my e-mail, and that was it.
ReplyDeleteAbout a week and a half in, I heard about a plane crash and a hotel bombing, so I deliberately looked them up, but I still missed a lot of stuff.
Apparently there's a confidence vote on Friday that could topple the Canadian government - I looked that one up this morning. I wonder what else I've missed.
It was still less isolating than travelling used to be - I assumed that if something important to me happened, someone would e-mail me.
I'm of mixed opinion on the whole lack of isolation in travelling these days. I mean, it's great to be able to remain in inexpensive contact with friends and family...but I miss being able to immerse yourself more fully in a culture. When in Belgium I absorb none of the local culture/news sources [even though I speak French] because the NY Times and CNN are just as accessible...I think I'm missing out on something. Sure, I could just not access those sites, but it's pretty dang hard.
ReplyDelete