Wednesday, November 18, 2009

On A Pedestal

It was just over a year and a half ago that I went to my very first art exhibit opening night. Since that momentous day I have wrangled myself invitation to a number of other fancy arts and culture type events [and I am going to see King Tut next Monday when the gallery is closed, so there]. Tonight was no exception - rather than waiting @ home for Joseph to return from his glamorous job, I went out to the Bata Shoe Museum for the unveiling of their new Renaissance to Baroque exhibit on chopines and high heels. Because I can't tell you what the exhibit is all about, please see their helpful
website. I will see the exhibit on Sunday when I'm volunteering and hopefully it will be less busy. The event tonight had around 300 muckety mucks and fancy-pantsed folk - some involved in arts and culture, some just hangers on and looky loos. Celebrity chef and Food Network [okay, Food Network Canada] star David Rocco was on hand for...some raisin? I dunno, he goes to Italy a lot? And the Renaissance was in Italy? Sure. His presence meant that everyone, including and especially me, got a free copy of his new food porn-tastic cookbook! They also had a custom martini called the Chopini and assorted foods, including sushi and truffles. Some aging and desperate women were poking @ each other's breast implants [and discussing their many surgeries] in the bathroom. Keep it classy.

*sigh* Yeah, that kinda sums up what these types of events are. There are some neat people who know crazy amounts about of everything about really niche things [like Renaissance high heels, for example] and you could just listen to them geek out for hours [okay, I could - I like geeks]. But then there are also the trophy wives of government folk/rich art types. And hipsters and trust fund kids all grown up. It's kinda annoying, but it's something that you have to let go and get on board with if you want your art-related boat to be floated. It's one thing to just have to smile and serve these folks @ special events, it's quite another when those types are the ones dictating the direction of a museum's collection and the types of of temporary exhibits. And while the Bata Shoe Museum is chairperson-ed and owned by a very rich woman, it continues to be a great museum because it delivers such enigmatic and idiosyncratic exhibits that don't compromise. And it's not always to my taste, but I'm glad this museum exists.

[and - for any and all toronto readers - please note that this weekend and next the bata shoe museum will be free to those who donate a pair of new socks. the socks will then be donated to the scott mission for the homeless. for the price of one measly pair of socks, you can see these very strange high heels that i'm super glad women today don't have to wear!]

No comments:

Post a Comment