What I lack in length of time served as a Star Wars, I make up for in intensity. I've been a fan for nearly two years now, but in that time I've watched Star Wars like...a million times. Even the prequels [okay, not Phantom Menace]. At first I was hesitant about ponying up the dough to go see Star Wars In Concert, but then PBS presented an opportunity to give them a donation and they would give us tickets and special access wristbands, so we went for it. The really big show was last night - I felt like I had been waiting for it for months and months. Anyway, for those not in the know, Star Wars In Concert features the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, is narrated by Anthony Daniels [he's C3P0] and has a gigantic screen where they project scenes from all six Star Wars films. There's also lasers and pyrotechnics!
Overall, it was a very entertaining experience. Yes, there were mobs of kids [but it seems like everything I like is also enjoyed by children - this should say something about my maturity level], but they were mostly well-behaved and dressed up as Star Wars characters in a general display of cutie muffin gumbo. Also, with our PBS wristbands [yes, few things are more nerdy than a grown woman in a children's sized Empire Strikes Back t-shirt, accented by a PBS bracelet], we got to see the exhibits [costumes and other accessories from the films] extra early and avoid the crowd of plebs. The music was, of course, wonderful - I don't have a great ear for music, but a big orchestra always sounds good to me - although they could have turned it up to eleven - it didn't seem to be as loud as it could have been [although the acoustics were surprisingly good for an arena]. And while it was nice to finally see Star Wars up on a big screen [I've only seen two of them in the theatre - one of them was Phantom Menace and the other one I saw when I was barely four years old, so I don't recall much about the experience], I think that the story needs work. Not the story of Star Wars, which is a grand old tale...but the story they are condensing for the concert needs work, as do some of the edits of the films - not everything syncs up as wonderfully as they would like to think. But still, it was a jolly good show.
In other Star Wars related news, Joseph and I have decided that sometime soon - perhaps over the xmas break - we will watch all six films in one day. That's right - nearly fourteen hours of Star Wars-y goodness will be had. It's going to be quite the feat, but I know we are up for it. I'm having some creative drought though as I'm trying to think of Star Wars themed foods/beverages and I'm @ a loss. Everything online is targeted towards children's birthday parties, so no help there. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I would prepare all the food in advance - with fourteen hours of film to watch, I won't have a lot of food preparation time.
Friday, November 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The first one of the movies I ever saw was Return Of The Jedi (in the theatre), then I saw Star Wars (when it was on TV), then they invented VCRs and we rented the Empire Strikes Back.
ReplyDeleteI saw them all in the theatre when they were re-released um, 1997?
OK, this is making me feel really old.
Really, really old.
As far as food, pub food would be appropriate. Tang or dried food (for the space travel).
You're right, it is hard.
Return of the Jedi was the first film I ever saw in the theatres. Mostly I remember my cousin falling asleep and him being terrified of the baby Ewoks.
ReplyDelete