Thursday, December 3, 2009

O Tannenbaum

Although I don't really like Christmas and I have no religious affiliation with it I do seem to do a fair number of Christmas-y things. I have my films I like to watch every year, I do a tonne of baking, we buy gifts [but Joseph and I don't exchange with one another], I have a rather infamous Christmas card newsletter...the works. However, this is the first year that I've had my own tree. It's around three feet tall, fake, and came with its own un-twinkling white twinkle lights and cost just $12. As a result of all these factors, we suspected it might look pretty shitty when we saw some sample trees of the same dimension already set up in the shop...but then we brought it home and unfurled it and plugged it in and totally fell in love. It's warm soothing glow is the perfect accompaniment to the warm soothing glow of the TV, especially when Star Wars is on.

The tree sat naked [except for the lights, which I'm so glad came with the tree as I always hated dealing with lighting on our big family tree] for a few days, but yesterday I stumbled across a 50% off sale on ornaments and now the tree boasts a grand total of four decorations. Two are mini snow globes - one with my name, one with Joseph's. The other two are meant to be representative of us in some fashion - mine is a large and heavy glass Hello Kitty head...for obvious reasons and Joseph's is an Oscar the Grouch ornament...for obvious reasons. We still need a few more decorations and something spectacular to use as a tree topper...hopefully some of this will be remedied with my 25% @ the shoe museum's gift shop next Monday as part of their volunteer party.

I'm still not sure what motivated me to buy a tree this year. I still have no desire for any other decorative touches - aside from my spinning and dancing and singing and crazy light up penguin. But the tree provides me with a tremendous sense of well being that I normally don't get over the holidays [generally I ride the blue train...which I still am a bit, but less so].

3 comments:

  1. The glow of the tree is soothing, isn't it? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like my Christmas tree - especially since the lights are on timers, so they're on when I get home from work. (That is, when I had a job to come home from). I think things like that are more enjoyable when they're on your terms - you can put up the tree if you want to, but it's not an obligation and there's no conflict about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lights on timers? That's pretty nifty! The only conflict thus far is how many ornaments to put on. I would rather load it up, Joseph thinks less is more. Also, we got a star for the top on Friday, so that makes it feel more complete.

    ReplyDelete