Thursday, December 10, 2009

Job Interviews #16 and #17

Eagle-eyed blog readers will notice that I've already had a Job Interview #16. However, I didn't end up going to that interview. I was very busy @ that time and I was totally not into the job at all. Also, I figured that I had enough practice interviews that it wouldn't hurt me to decline one of them. Also, I did interview at Gap and Williams-Sonoma after that, but I'm not counting those interviews as there were pretty lightweight and not for a "real job" - which is perhaps why I had success in both of them. Well, this time I'm having a real Job Interview #16 and also a real Job Interview #17. It's funny because earlier today I left a comment on Colette's blog indicating that December has historically been a good month for job interviews for me, but that this year had been a total bust in that department. Then, bang. Two interviews in one afternoon. Bang.

The real Job Interview #16 is at an organization that baffles me a little bit. They publish business magazines [relating to infrastructure and water]...but they also do editorial research, graphic design and specialty communications for clients. I would be working as an editorial assistant/research associate. It all sounds very interesting, but I definitely have my research cut out for me in advance. Their website is very quirky...so there's a chance they might enjoy the style and sensibilities that I naturally offer...but I'm a bit hesitant. Also, the person I would be working under a person who has self-enforced nicknames - they include: Bosley, Boss-ly and Otter. Huh. It also says that she's a blogger and likes to complain. There might be too much personality in that interview room.

Job Interview #17 is one that I've been anticipating for almost two years now. Back when I worked at Geneva Centre twice daily I would walk past the national headquarters for Girl Guides of Canada and I often thought about how neat it would be to work there. I've kept an eye out for job opportunities there and I've even applied for a couple of them that were perhaps slightly out of my league. While it might not be entirely obvious, I was a Brownie, Girl Guide and even a Pathfinder. No, I was never an outdoor girl. And yes, one single weekend camping trip resulted in: my burning down a baseball diamond, my tent and belongings being trampled by a cow and me being personally attacked by an owl. Good times. But still, Guiding played a really important role in my life. It challenge me to do new and interesting things that I thought I would hate [and I mostly did], but ended up teaching me things. Also, I met a lot of people I wouldn't normally have known - attending Catholic school really removes you from those fun public school kids. Anyway, I got my all-round cord in Guides and I still think it's a great accomplishment...and I think the organization is a fine one. The job is working in membership development - it seems okay, but mostly I'm just looking to get a foot in the door to see what else it could lead to.

My only concern is that I don't have my work schedule for next week - we only get them early Friday mornings for the following week. I had no choice but to book in these meetings...but I'm not sure what I will do if I have to work. It's good to feel wanted though.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's pretty impressive for one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the interviews! I can't wait to read all about them.

    PS-I think we'd all like to hear a bit more about your camping weekend, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I will make a nostalgic post about that camping trip [there were others - some pretty disastrous, but that one stands out].

    ReplyDelete