Aside from my wee xmas tree, I don't think I completely understand that Christmas is in 9 days. Because I've really done nothing to prepare. Okay, I did finish up the xmas cards last night, but the newsletter has not been put inside and obviously, they are my sofa buddies - maybe one day they will make it to the post office. *sigh* I'm trying very hard to not get stressed over xmas - I have a pathetically small to-do list, so it will be extra stupid if I can't get it all done. However, in my defense, things do keep popping up. All of my shifts @ Gap this week start @ 7am. This is okay sometimes because it frees up part of the day...but also bad sometimes because it means that I'm then asked to continue working until 4pm - leaving my old, decrepit body too tired to speak by the time I get home. Today I napped for like...three hours in the afternoon. Also, the interviews and their preparations for them - that's taking time, too. Does everything have to happen in December?
Okay, so job interview #16 was on Monday afternoon. It was alright-ish-y? Huh. I think that the girls/women doing the interviewing were quite overloaded with interviews - they neglected to respond to my email asking for directions to the office and they confirmed a few times that I was indeed who they thought they scheduled for that time. The office and organization is really small, though they do have a nap room. I was given a full tour and introduced to everyone [about 8 people total work there, including interns] - the interviewer who gave me the tour wasn't wearing shoes [I mean, I approve because seriously - frak shoes...but it seems an odd behaviour in an interview setting]. The interview was short-ish and very conversational in tone. Mostly the tone of their conversation. They didn't really ask me any questions. I tried to chime in and say something great/positive/related to what they were talking about - but I felt like their weren't really listening to me at all. No "uh-huhs" or nodding in agreement or writing down notes. Until I asked a few questions about the main project I would be responsible for as well as the company as a whole - then one of the interviews wrote some stuff down. It was...odd. They mainly went on and on about Microsoft Excel and how the successful candidate had to be familiar with all the finer points of it. Now, the main job would be assembling a top 100 list of infrastructure projects in Canada - the only number would be how much capital was invested. The rest is written material. So...why Excel? I tried to ask this question and they said they would be open to someone introducing a database or other software. I do think a database or Access would be better - but I can't say how to implement it exactly. I'm a quick study with software, but I'm not s-m-r-t enough to design something myself. They gave me a test [yet another thing to do this week] and want me to compile it in Excel - which should be easy enough, although I think it will look sloppy this way. So...I'm still interested, although the weirdness was...weird?
Interview #2 was this morning after my shift @ the Gap. Like, right after. I was a little out of breath, but still *just* on time. More women doing the interview [not really a surprise as this was Girl Guides of Canada] - though these ones were smartly attired in suits AND shoes. This interview was pretty "by the book" - the multiple pages of interview questions, the HR presence, the "give me an example of when..." type of questions. I feel like having so many interviews under by belt over the past year isn't always a great thing. I think I now sound a bit too studied - I like to be very natural in interviews [yes, contrary to all job advice givers - I shouldn't be so surprised that I'm still unemployed]. Mostly it was good though - I punted the "what makes you stand out from other applicants" question [kinda - I didn't go with my gut, instead highlighted how I'm very organized, my communications skills and that I enjoy/thrive in high-pressure/deadline-driven environments - my gut would have provided me with a less prepared type answer]. Also, they pointed out my "gap in employment" over the past year and asked me about it quite directly. I must admit, I never have a great answer/explanation for that. I say that I am selective about the jobs I apply for and that I am looking to build my career, while finding a good match for my background. But still, interviewers always seem kinda blah about it. I don't really know what they are expecting me to say, but I wish I had a better answer. Suggestions please?
The good news is that I'm still feeling generally positive about both opportunities. I also think that both organizations are feeling that way about me - if I'm reading things properly. I should know by early next week...but first I have to complete the test for job interview #16.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good luck on the test! I just finished a few of those yesterday. I've never had to do it before and I'm really nervous about finding out how I did. Also, no shoes?!?! Really?! I think that I would have been too taken aback to even focus. Hope you get good news next week!
ReplyDeleteHmm. For the first one, if you're really interested, I'd suggest doing the test in Excel, then doing it again (or a portion) in a piece of software that you think would be more appropriate.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the gap in employment, my answer is that I was let go as part of a layoff, and that I've been networking and applying for jobs as well as doing a Java course (even though my course work is very erratic). I think it's good to say that you're being selective, and I think it's also OK to say that you've been working a retail job while looking for something that would advance your career. (Sure, you just started the retail job, but it shows that you're not just sitting around.)
I think you could say You are a candidate of quality who prefers to take a job of quality.plus just point slightly and finely that you were just expreincing the other stuffs and were keeping studying...for me you are a great chance for any company for your expertise ...and it`s true Sydney...I follow your posts and I can see how active you are...besides you have a sharp mind...please mention it in your cv...
ReplyDeleteGood luck from bottom of my heart...
Sorry for my lengthy comment...
They did question why I didn't put Gap on my resume [it came up in casual conversation that I had already worked a full shift before the 10:30am interview]. I would never think to put it on a professional resume, but it is something I'm mentioning to potential employers. I dunno...I just hate the question - it always makes me feel like a heel.
ReplyDeleteColette - that's kinda the problem...I feel like the information would be more useful in a database of some sort, but I don't have access to anything like that on my home computer. All of the databases I'm familiar with were pretty industry specific and I wouldn't know how to build one from scratch.
I noticed the no shoes because the floor was very polished and smooth and she was sliding a bit...also, she was around my height and I'm short...in shoes everyone is much, much taller than me.
You can download Oracle XE for free. :) That probably doesn't help you, though, because you would need to define the tables and figure out the relationship (and probably a user interface). I guess you just do it the way they asked.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't put the Gap on a resume either, but I think it's a reasonable answer to the question of what you've been doing during the gap on your resume.
Ha - the Gap fills the gap!
ReplyDelete