Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Even Stephen

It's the lead story here that the Canadian dollar is coming close to parity with the American dollar. As Canadians, we are nothing if not predictable [on Q this morning some guest referred to Canada as "vanilla custard" and I quite agree] as we always, always get excited when we come close to our southerly neighbours in anything [even while we think that we are somehow better?]. Though apparently this new economic development could really screw us, from a recovery point of view [I still don't believe that Ontario is recovering - they keep saying that unemployment is going down and things are picking up, but I don't see any anecdotal evidence of this]. As Canadians our economy seems to function better when our dollar is in the pooper, so to speak [I took an economics course or two and I can assure you that "in the pooper" is proper economics speak]. We get more tourism dollars and trade is better, so the manufacturing sector gets a boost. If the dollar continues to climb, the experts are predicting that Ontario will return to its previous levels of recession.

While I agree that this sounds pretty dire, I'm not particularly worried - in fact, I'm a little excited about the high dollar as...I'm planning a mini-holiday! That's right America - I'm coming for you! And yes, not a lot of lengthily unemployed folks plan holidays, but I'm not really like most lengthily unemployed folk. Being unemployed rather sucks and you're under a lot of stress - it's ironic that this is the time when you most need a break and you really shouldn't. I mean, I know I shouldn't. But - it's my champagne birthday coming up and Joseph and I haven't been anywhere in a year [the less said about xmas, the better - I deserved a holiday after that experience]...so off we go. It's our first trip to the United States together [barring our fun times in Philadelphia and the glory that is the Newark airport], so I'm quite jazzed about that as Joseph + Americans = fun [okay, mostly Joseph's accent + Americans = fun]. I'm not planning on shopping or anything [I haven't really been shopping in over two years, barring xmas], but the dollar parity means I can get an even better deal on Hotwire hotels and flights. Wait - where are we going? Well, we haven't quite nailed that down yet...

And while I've used hole in the wall bank machines in the US before and I know they work with my card I will be getting some American money out from the bank. Mostly so that I can practice not looking like a total tool with it...I'm very used to coloured money - with it being all one colour, you really have to look [when I was little I used $20s and multiples thereof to pay for everything in the US - so I wouldn't look fumbly - and by the end of the holiday I would have dozens of $1 bills]. I am stressing this because it would seem that many American tourists I encounter do not go to their friendly local banks and get Canadian money. Most expect that any and every place will be delighted to accept their foreign money [and mostly they are terribly friendly about this, too]. Hold up Yankees - you don't quite own us yet. This really, really bugs me - while @ the same time, I respect that it takes tremendous balls to do this [I truly believe that no other country would try to pull this]. I'm seriously considering trying to pay for something in America in Canadian dollars. I will let you know how that goes [I may have tried this in Philadelphia, but I was pretty cracked out @ the time so I can't remember if this really happened or not].

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I really want to go on a road trip of some sort, but am restraining myself because I'm unemployed - but, of course, I've been on trips recently. (I also really want to go shopping, which tells you what my mind does when I try to be all restrictive.)

    Anyway, I hope you have a great trip.

    In the defence of Americans trying to use their currency here, I've used American currency in South Africa, Egypt, and Turkey (since I last used it in the US. It really is accepted internationally.

    Also, I don't know about other banks, but you can get American dollars at some CIBC bank machines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck to you! I've had many a Canadian coin returned to me when trying to pay for something. And yet, they somehow get into and remain in circulation...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I don't get is why Canadian and American coins are the same size and weight. It's like they want us to use them interchangably.

    It's true - some countries [particularly developing nations] really, really love American money.

    ReplyDelete