Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Job Interview #15 Post-Mortem and Stuff From All Over

Has it really been a week since I last posted? Ooops. One might think that something really tremendous had happened in my life - like getting a demanding and fulfilling job or perhaps running off early on that holiday or something equally interesting. One would be wrong. Thankfully, nothing terrible has happened either, but the days have gotten away from me. Truthfully, I haven't been spending much time in the living room [where my laptop lives - yes, I know, it's a laptop, it can live anywhere...it chooses not to] and therefore blogging is a lot more difficult without a computer. Here's what's been going on...

- I had job interview #15. This could/should have been a big one. However, it's not or else I would have given it the gift of its own post. The interview was @ the Art Gallery of Ontario - at long last - a window into their world and a chance to join it. The position was to work as a sales coordinator for the duration of the King Tut exhibit [six month contract position]. The interview was a cattle-call type of situation with dozens of people there and honestly - it didn't seem like they were too choosy in their initial screening process. They were extremely disorganized and when I showed up for the full-day interview process [that's right - full day - from 9am to 5pm] they were not expecting me as I had attended a volunteer recruitment session the day before. They scrambled about for a while and eventually found people to interview me. They described the interview as "speed date style" and aimed to keep it under 10 minutes. They asked me about four questions which were painfully generic and I did my best to answer them, although, to be honest, it was not my finest performance [I think I had so much in my head that I wanted to get out and it wouldn't evacuate]. I was the most professional in appearance [including the interviewers], though. I wore my black and white Coco Chanel suit...other people wore jeans, make-up applied for a rowdy student Thursday pub night and a mini-skirt so short that I saw things that would be inappropriate for a waitress @ a strip club to show off [my personal favourite was the guy with the obviously new "job interview jeans" - he forgot to remove the sizing sticker that runs the length of the front of the pants]. I feel so disappointed [still - even though it was very nearly a week ago now] - I have waited so long to get in with the AGO and I blew it. They blew it, too. But mostly, it just blew. I have so much more to say on this, but I want to wait and see how it all works itself out...I think right now I'm too bitter.

- As mentioned above I had to attend a volunteer recruitment session for the King Tut exhibit - it was several of the suckiest hours of my recent life, to put it mildly. We had to play lame-o icebreaker type games and do skits and other such awfulness. None of it was specific to volunteer experience or knowledge of King Tut/ancient Egypt or anything really. Also, many of the people in attendance have been volunteers with the AGO for years and years - this is kinda a slap in the face [even to me and I've only volunteered there for five months]. Also, the volunteer placements are competitive for this exhibit so many people who attended that session and who have volunteered their time previously are likely to be cut. I don't like situations like that so it's very possible that I will be cut. If I'm cut, it's pretty clear that I won't be getting the paid position. Boo-urns to this whole bunch of shenanigans.

- Post-season baseball has been mostly awesome. That is all.

- I finally found Halloween-themed cookie cutters [I had to go out to the other end of the city to my old stomping grounds - my first apartment] so I'm going to make a metric buttload of cookies this weekend. I'm going to make basic sugar cookies and spice cookies and enlist Joseph's help to artistically decorate them. They will be distributed in trick-or-treat packages early next week...to whom exactly, I'm not quite sure.

- We have definitively decided on a location for my fabulous and now extended champagne birthday holiday. However, I'm not @ liberty to share it right now because we haven't booked it yet. I'm supposed to find out about the job and volunteer position by Friday afternoon [if you've been following me you will know that so many of my major employment-related disappointments come on Friday afternoon - just in time to ruin my weekend - it's fun that way] and there might be training that will conflict with potential holiday fun...so I will erase my potential horrific sadness by booking a fabulous holiday on Friday evening. It should be fun and completely overwhelming in a way that's totally different from my normal feelings of overwhelm-ment.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about the job interview. I hate that. I had something similar happen a while back, too. They put me in a tiny room with a lot of people (some in pajamas) to fill out an application, which I had a hard time doing because of other applicants shaking the table and the general B.O. that was lingering in the air. After I was done, I was given a business card with a sticker on it because they didn't have "real" business cards. Oh, and their phone wasn't set up, either. So, I should wait to hear from them. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear the job interview didn't go well. (It doesn't sound like a good place to work, though - seriously, if I'm volunteering for something, I will not take kindly to you wasting my time at an orientation and then telling me you don't need me to volunteer.)

    Yay on the cookie cutters! Where did you find them?

    At least you have a vacation to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm just not sure what I will do when the holiday is over and it's back to reality...

    I would normally agree - everything about the interview process was such a turn off...but it's the one place in Toronto where I'm dying to work. There are so few opportunities to work in the arts - mostly small organizations - the AGO is the biggest and therefore best chance.

    Jen - your situation sounds like a nightmare, too. At least we are accumulating some interesting stories while unemployed...

    ReplyDelete