That's right - in just four days I will be in New York City! My champagne birthday will certainly be one to remember - I just hope it's for the right reasons. I feel as though New York has the potential to go horribly wrong or wonderfully right. We have a nice 4-star hotel booked in midtown east - near to the Empire State Building [I have a serious love for tall things that I can go up - it's possible that I really do live in the right city for this reason alone]. Normally I don't think we would be able to afford this hotel, but they are undergoing severe renovations to their lobby and restaurants so there is no dining available @ the hotel [who eats @ hotels anyway? business travellers maybe...but in a city that big there must be dozens of places to eat within a stone's throw of the hotel, right?] and the lobby has been relocated. Therefore, it's a hella discount. The flight was stupidly expensive - I refuse to believe that it costs that much to fly for 90 minutes on a tiny airplane. We are buying a touristico-tastic attractions pass that will get us into six different things [four museums, two "things"] at half the price. And I'm optimistic that food can be obtained on a semi-reasonable sliding scale of pricing. We will be moving about the city courtesy of our own two feet [Fred Flinstone style!] and the subway [which is very confusing - and I say this as someone who has managed subways in many different international cities...let's just say I'm studying for the remainder of this week]. I hope to take a real-life NYC taxi once...just to say that I did it.
So, that's the gritty-gritty of it. Needless to say, I'm not a flying by the seat of my pants type of gal - despite much evidence to the contrary. I like to plan, plan, plan and then I can relax...or just enjoy the plan - it gives me a tremendous sense of satisfaction. I think one of our most successful holidays was to Paris - we planned each day out, even meals, and things went really smoothly despite some snags like terrible weather [for the record - Paris in springtime is overrated]. In terms of fun activities I have the following things that I'm trying to slot in: The Met, MOMA, The Natural History Museum, the Guggenheim, the New Contemporary Art Museum, the Empire State Building, a Circle Line cruise [mainly because it's included in our pass and is otherwise $30 - I just can't pass up a deal] and the Central Park Zoo. Also, it's my goal to watch the World Series games [sadly, they will be played in Philadelphia] with real Yankees fans so I need to find a quality sports bar. I'm excited to watch the games with other fans - no one here likes the Yankees at all...also - the Yankees in the World Series on my birthday?!? Yes, please! [also, if I know America...and I like to think that I do...I feel that if I find a sports bar I will also find delicious fried foods]. And if they win the series in four or five games then I can even be a rowdy New Yorker...unless my polite Canadian exterior gets in the way. Also, we are trying to get tickets for a Letterman taping, but I'm not crossing my fingers on that one - his recent scandal seems to have made people even more interested than usual.
I'm actually very excited. I tend to be pretty jaded about most things and beyond that, overwhelmingly cynical. I'm actually a bit scared or something of New York...but like, in a good way [mostly...I think]. I'm trying to think of some things that I can do there that is typically "New York" but not too, too touristico [I want Joseph to eat a hot dog on the street - the type cooked in water - we do have street meat here in Toronto]. One of those "only in New York" type of things...but I can't think of anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Monday, October 26, 2009
The Big Apple, The City So Nice They Named It Twice, The City That Never Sleeps
Labels:
American Justice,
Arts/Culture,
Holidays,
New York Yankees,
Travel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh fun! I'm so excited for you. When we went a few years back to visit family, we spent a day in the city and it was fantastic. It was summertime and there were several street fair deals going on, so fun. And you DO know America! We do bar food like no one else! Enjoy the fried goodness. :) Also, as a possible thing-to-do suggestion, we rode the Staten Island ferry when we were there. It's free and you get a nice view of the harbor and Lady Liberty herself!
ReplyDeleteYes, I've heard that's one of the rare free things to do in NYC. Buying the attractions pass gets us on a free Circle Line boat tour...and I get extremely seasick and anxious around/on water [sometimes even just looking @ it]...so we haven't decided if we will do this yet.
ReplyDeleteHave a great trip. The first time I was in New York, I stayed close to the Empire State Building. It was a crazy busy trip, and we were all over the place, but I do remember that food was hard to find in that area late at night - everything that is open later seemed to be closer to Times Square. Also, when I was last there (which was 7 years ago), there was a place in Times Square where they had computers & free internet, which was handy for checking e-mail. (I like to do that while I travel just in case something happens that I need to know about.)
ReplyDeleteWe did the hop-on/hop-off tours, which were good as a means of transportation as well as to see the sights. (We got off somewhere and had some amazing noodle soup, but I have no idea where.)
Also, we went to a movie close to Times Square one night - we had been doing a lot of walking, and needed a break - it was interesting seeing how vertical the theatre was - the different movies were on different floors.
Seriously, you will have no problem finding lots of things to do.
And yes, the subways there are more confusing than I've seen anywhere else, but you'll be able to figure it out enough to get where you're going. It's also the only place I've ever used a token for the subway - everywhere else I've been uses paper tickets.
Toronto uses tickets, cards and tokens on their transit system, too!
ReplyDeleteHmm. I've been on the subway in Toronto on several different trips, and I never knew that.
ReplyDeleteHow was your trip? Are you still working on your project of projects?
The trip was amazing - I've been back for a few days, but my butt is currently being kicked by some nasty allergies so I haven't updated.
ReplyDeleteI am still working on the Project of Projects, but I decided that blogging about it was taking too much time away. I need to make a new goal of faster, shorter blog entries [and yes, I know I've said it before].