I'm sure that I've mentioned this before, but I have to repeat things over and over again as I am not very good at learning my lesson, even after making the same mistakes again and again. The thing is - I apply for jobs that I'm not terribly interested in and inevitably these are the organizations that wish to interview me and often, really like me beyond that. I think it's some sort of curse. A while back I think I promised myself that I would stop applying for jobs that I have to guilt myself into applying for...but then...I dunno...I guess I feel extra guilty for being unemployed for long...so I apply. This particular job is working in development/fundraising at a private girls-only school in a posh neighbourhood. I applied for the job through a charity-only job board and I think that really stretches the limits of not-for-profit organization [of course, I knew what it was before I applied...but still - if it weren't on that board, I wouldn't have applied]. But yes, I'm going to the interview as I feel it's been a while since I had a really successful interview [not one where I got a job offer, but one that made me feel good about myself for whatever reason]. Plus, it will give me a chance to try out some new material and see how it plays [usually things go well when I don't want the job - I'm probably more relaxed and natural].
Overall though, I'm really frustrated with the job search. Possible leads have more than dried up, job postings are very diminished [they seem to be really cyclical] and I seem to either come in second best or only be considered for jobs that I don't want. I kinda get why these people would want me - I have a background in development and I spent three years working for high-profile rich people. However, I quit that job because I wanted a career...that job was always just a job to me and I wanted something more. Now, two years later I have even less. My friends are all working in the fields they studied @ university or a field they want to be in - and they all seem to be excelling into management-type positions [and they deserve to be and I'm happy for them - but I still want something for myself]. Here I am with my two useless degrees, numerous years of work experience, volunteering goodness...and I'm fully considering either diving deep into the exciting world of retail or heading back to school to learn some sort of professional skill or trade or possibly a combination of the two. Not happy.
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment