Friday, January 30, 2009

Boys of Summer

Joe Torre has recently "wrote" a book [because, as much as I like the guy - you and I both know that he did not pen this particular tome] and my interest in it is such that I don't even know what it's called. Don't get me wrong - I love reading and I love baseball [and I even love Joe Torre a little bit], I just don't love reading anything that has clearly been ghostwritten and is probably hacky celeb type stuff [I get enough of that online]. Anyway, he was on with the Lar Bear tonight [a good guilty pleasure every now and again] so I was able to catch some of the highlights of this book. And yes, I'm super pleased to discover that A-Rod is as much as a tool as I have long suspected. Not that I really needed a book to tell me that...but I think it's great that Mr. Torre has an outlet to express his feelings on the Yankee organization [and now the ever-classy New York tabloids have taken him to task...but really - what has A-Rod ever really done that someone else couldn't? I mean, I'm aware of the stats, but if you can't bring it when it counts then STFD. also, he screws Madonna, so, obviously gross]. I think Joe Torre gets it. He gets that it's both tough and awesome to be a Yankee fan. Especially with all of the douchebags in the organization that douche it up for everyone. It makes being a fan a crime.

And I say this as a Yankee fan. A long-time Yankee fan. I was upset when Torre left, although obviously not surprised, given the Steinbrenner way of handling things [big Stein or lil Stein - they all be the same]. He was so much the heart of the team and to get canned for having the audacity to not win a World Series [after already winning six] seems...stupid. Sometimes I really hate being a Yankee fan...I mean, then I think about the Red Sox and I feel differently, but still...there are tough moments. And since Roberto Alomar I haven't had a favourite baseball player, which has prevented me from procuring a real-life Yankees jersey, which has caused my life to suck a bit. Is it too much to ask for one redeemable player? Perhaps this year will bring something and/or someone new and exciting...I can't wait until spring.

Also, for the record - I don't like to learn much about my favourite athletes. I don't view them quite the same as I do other celebrities [actors, musicians, celebutantes, etc.]. I know this isn't terribly fair of me. It's not because I like to put atheletes on a pedestal, but I feel they aren't creative or artistic so they can't be judged in the same fashion. And, also for the record, I do enjoy sports journalism because it's so hilariously bad [so please send any amusing interviews/quotes my way].

No comments:

Post a Comment