Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Job Interview #1 - Post Mortem

So this morning, not unlike Barack Obama, I got up with a renewed sense of purpose - I had to be somewhere! In a suit! How exciting. I dressed in my finest brown suit [I have more than one brown suit - this one is my favourite] and yes, highly controversial boots. I had removed my nail polish entirely last night and was wearing my Sellout lipstick [it's a real shade by Urban Decay and always seems appropriate in moments like these]. Hair swept off my face in a hairband. No jewellery [aside from yes, my nose piercing, which is not easily removable]. I even shaved my legs [this was more for the benefit of my doctor's appointment immediately following the interview, although I'm sure they deal with much more discusting things than my hairy legs]. I wore my saucy beret [though not my sauciest beret] and new ocelot-trimmed gloves [which I removed before entering, even though I think animal print is classy]. I was ready! At least superficially...

The truth is, it didn't go all *that* badly. Which is probably not good news for me as it always seems when I have a particularly stinky interview...that's when I get the job offer. I would say that I'm niether more or less charmed by this position as a result of the interview. Which is big for me. Ultimately, I feel this job might be a bit too similar to my most previous one in that it is a small foundation that exists within a service-providing organization and I would be doing the administrative work for the senior operatives. More database stuff, but also more donor stewardship stuff. Again, I'm not sure I would have the same type of team environment that I've grown to love and I wouldn't have any peers. I will know next week if I got the job - I won't be heartbroken/over the moon either way...

Things that went badly:
- the computer test which I had to do on a big screen with everyone watching - it was a very stressful situation and I know I would have done better if left in a room alone [though they didn't seem to care too much and seemed to think I knew what I was doing]
- interviewing with three people @ one time - any more than two people and my eyes get all shifty
- my arrival time - I had organized myself to arrive early, but due to subway delays I got there pretty much *right* on time
- the neighbourhood is less than desirable - see, I already live in a less than desirable neighbourhood so I like working somewhere nicer [gives me delusions of grandeur it does...and makes me think maybe not-for-profit might not be where I want to be]
- two of the three people interviewing me were female - I tend to do better with male interviewers/bosses

Things that went well:
- I was overdressed - this immediately puts me at ease [and while I understand casual workplaces I would think if you're conducting interviews you could ditch the jeans and hoodies for something slightly more upscale]
- I was able to answer all of the questions without exaggeration [okay, lies]
- I was able to draw parallels between past jobs and this one
- the questions in general were very good - they were relevant to the specific position - not a lot of those scenario type questions or name your three worst qualities trick questions
- I was able to gain a better understanding of the organization and the specifics of this position by asking informed questions

2 comments:

  1. I used to find that I got offered jobs when I didn't think I had a chance based on the interview. (That wasn't the case last time - I had one interview where I knew within 5 minutes I wasn't going to get the job - and I was right.)

    And I'm with you on the number of interviewers - it is hard to focus and not get distracted when there are a lot of people in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the deal with me is when an interview starts to go bad I just really loosen up. I give very honest answers and I probably noticably relax [because I figure it's the opportunity is gone]. Maybe people like that! I know I like that person more than my normal uptight interview persona.

    And I would think organizations would learn that having so many people in the room is very distracting. I always figure maybe everyone else performs better than I do in those situations. I would think a better interview would be had with less people - or with rotating people in and out.

    ReplyDelete