So I just got a call from the organization I interviewed with last week. I had pretty much given up on them calling as I've had that happen to me too many times before [and yes, it totally burns my biscuits - you go to the effort of having the interview and they don't even have the courtesy to ring you up and say - yeah, thanks but no thanks - it's incredibly rude]. Anyway, they have requested my references - which is a bit of a struggle for me late in the day on a Thursday. I like to give my references a chance to review the position I'm considering [and being considered for] and people are notoriously busy @ the end of the week. I've put the messages out and I'm hopeful that my references will be their regular helpful selves - I really do appreciate their time all the nice things they say about me. I think this is a positive sign that they are considering me for the role, as apparently they are skipping the whole second interview thing [I guess I'm *just* that charming...along with possibly other individuals].
The final aspects of getting a job - the references, the negotiating, the fine details - I hate it a lot. I feel so awkward and conflicted. It's something I wish I were better at doing - for my own well-being. I know people who have successfully negotiated a lot more money than originally offered or people who have negotiated having less money, but more holiday time or time to work @ home. Or even some changes to the role description. I just get all nervous when it comes to talking about money or the finer points of the job. I'm much more likely to take less pay if it means less awkwardness and then be miserable in my lowly job. I've been researching tips for contract negotiations, but any personal stories would be helpful as well.
About this specific job - I'm still not sold. I'm trying to think of some better questions I can ask so I can get a feel for the culture of the organization. I'm not exactly a Michael Scott [a la The Office] type of person [he thinks his workplace is his family], but for me, fit is the most important thing for success in a job. I mean, I can deal if it's less than perfect, but if it's very miserable I will not be motivated to really do my job with gusto and I won't thrive. But I find that fit is the type of thing you don't know until you've been on the job a little while - for some reason my nomally trademark gut reaction totally breaks down in the artificial world of job hunting. But still - even if the job isn't perfect I'm considering taking it anyway. The economy and job scene is so crumby out there I feel like I don't have much choice.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I find that even when I put a lot of effort into asking a lot of questions, it's still hard to judge a job before you actually start.
ReplyDeleteMy outplacement help last year (wait, 2 years ago now) recommended that you make a list of what is important to you, and judge how the job matches your criteria.
So, for me, what's important are:
- working "normal" hours - in high tech some places have the expectation that you will work 60 hours a week - that's not for me.
- interesting work
- convenient location
- # of vacation/sick days
- reasonable salary
Then you negotiate based on what's important to you - so for me, extra vacation days would come before a pay raise.
I didn't negotiate much when I was offered this job, but I did ask questions about things like vacation time. I think everyone hates negotiating, but really, the worst thing they can do is say no.
Asking for references is certainly a good sign. Good luck!
Hubby just got back from a job fair. He talked with several company representatives, and feels positive about a few.
ReplyDeleteHe specifically asked about the office culture; some considered themselves laid back (which he would rather have), and some said they were high energy. It IS important to have a good fit with your personality, since we spend so much time at our jobs.
Colette - I think we share many of the same important things, despite working in completely different industries. I am going to try to be tough as I enter the final stages of negotiation [if I get there]. I'm just always worried that I'm too picky and no one will want me and that if they think I'm picky they will take back their offer.
ReplyDeleteKathy - it's funny because I don't like laid back working environments. I like feeling kinda dressed up and tense. It makes me work harder.