Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Moment

Those who followed my other blog will know that I'm a shameless fan of Barack Obama. So obviously there was going to be only one place where I would be today and one thing to blog about. That's right - I've got inauguration fever! And the only cure is...more balls? Something like that. Anyway, my friends over @ CNN were doing this neat-o thing where they wanted those attending the inauguration ceremony to send in their photos of the moment when Barack Obama took [and fumbled - through no fault of his own] the oath of office. My busy schedule didn't allow me to attend the inauguration so instead I took some photos from the comfort of my own home. After all, I've spent the better part of two years right here on this sofa watching all of the political drama go down - it was a real journey [only this time I was wearing pants - when Obama won the presidency I was not].


I like this one because it has Michelle in it and also my purple stripey monkey socks and new Hello Kitty pajamas.


I know it might seem a bit odd that a Canadian would have such strong views about American politics, but I've always been into it. And, like much of the rest of the world, I've found Obama to be a very enigmatic individual. Again, like many people I've been a fan of his since his keynote address @ the Democratic convention in 2004 and I started to learn more about him. I found out that he is an incredibly intelligent man, of humble beginnings and he really just spoke to me. I can't really say anything profound or interesting about Obama that hasn't been said and said to death. The one thing I will say is that I'm incredibly cynical. Joseph is incredibly cynical. And we have been so inspired by Obama's story and message. I admire the fact that he does things differently...people said that you can't do things this way or you can't say this...he had the balls to say - well, I just did. So there. I respect that...if things suck - why would you keep on with the same old, same old? That is not how I want to live my life. In addition, him actually being successful has made me believe in myself and my ideals - because generally I feel like a total outlier [this is not a bad thing either]...but if he can make it work, so can I!

[one more time]

YES WE CAN!

[and expect that I will be following his Presidency - unemployment or not!]

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had taken pics of the Inauguration with Obama on the screen. What a great day!

    BTW, I am a huge Hello Kitty fan and I LOVE the PJ pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit - I was led a bit astray by the good folks @ CNN. They had been hyping this whole "take a photo @ the moment Obama takes the oath and send it to us" thing for a couple of weeks now. I didn't realize that they meant *only* if you were actually there...in person. However, a lot of people must have thought the same as me as the following day I noticed they were posting all of these photos of people @ home in front of the TV.

    And on the PJs - thanks. I have literally a dozen pairs of Hello Kitty. And slippers. And everything else. These are my new winter ones.

    ReplyDelete