I just got back from the ultra-rare Sunday afternoon matinee. Yes, even though I'm The Unemployed Elitist, I still get that Sunday Feeling of Doom. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's just...Sunday...ugh...and even though it's a day off and freedom and such - it just feels so inevitable...so end-of-the-world-y. So I just waste it...I do nothing...but get all antsy about the next week starting. This happens every week - even though I'm not currently working so technically Monday is a whole lot like Friday for me. But today was different - we left the house and it felt good - I feel like I should make the most out of every horrible Sunday and yet I know that next week I totally won't. But - on to the film! Yes, I've decided that I will do film and maybe television reviews as part of my role as The Unemployed Elitist - I have a lot of time to ponder these things.
The film was Man On Wire - a documentary that is nominated for an Academy Award this year. And you [yes you] simply must see it. I'm not one for film recaps, but I also warn that I will probably spoil things so if you haven't seen it and want to - you should probably stop reading. Of course, the story is quite evident from the trailers and the poster - it's about this guy, a French wirewalker [Philippe Petit], who tripped the light fantastic on a wire strung between the two towers of the World Trade Center back in 1974. Obviously the visuals are quite stunning and exhilarating [I'm not afraid of heights @ all and they took my breath away in a not entirely good thing - so a word to those who are agorophic or fearful of heights - this might not be the film for you], but that's not entirely the story here. It's also a bit of a caper [and I *love* a good caper] and a story of relationships - as most great tales are.
The actual act of walking between the two towers on a tightrope is astounding. Even though it happened 35 years ago and the dude is sitting there fully alive and stuff telling his story [he is a very good storyteller, which is an added bonus] - you still don't quite believe it. Or at least I didn't. I might just be dumb. The act seems so impossible - not just the walking, but the arranging. And this is where the relationship aspect comes in - this act would not have been possible without many of his close friends and then a rag-tag team of individuals working together, pushing each other...all driving towards the same crazy goal. But then...after the act is complete...there is nothing left. The friendships disappear [some of them lifelong]...everything changes - it seems there is nowhere else to go as there is nothing left to focus on. It's a bit like high school graduation or camp or something - the relationships are so meaningful for an intense period of time, but once the goal is reached, they dwindle. You win, but you lose. It made me feel as though tragedy is a better bond than triumph.
And then there is the individual. Most stories focus on the individual [though I *love* ensemble pieces a lot more, generally speaking]. And yes, it is one guy out on the wire...but many more people slotting into their own roles. It seems as though sometimes you can choose your own path, but also sometimes forces of nature [and I think the wirewalker is portrayed as a force of nature] choose your destiny for you. But this act was so successful because of the committment that everyone had to being part of something incredible - even though they wouldn't be known for it. I think this is a powerful message - not just about how you don't always have to be the star of the show...but how sometimes he/she who appears to be the star is not.
Finally, it shows a great test of responsiblity for others. Some individuals involved in the caper of getting this set up simply couldn't go through with it. They did not wish to be responsible for someone else's death - even though that person was clearly choosing this activity [and he is sane]. Those who stuck with it - including the wirewalker - they had tremendous faith in each other...that they would all perform their duties. Including the wirewalker - he had to do this so everyone else's efforts would be vindicated. But I don't think anyone ever thought he would fall.
It's quite beautiful and very moving. I'm not sure it will win the Academy Award as I think some voters will be turned off by the imagery of the World Trade Center [and that is a shame - because it's so glorious that it's really a lovely tribute]. It should make you think long and hard about the things people sacrifice for their art [no matter what the medium or profession even].
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I absolutely know what you mean about the inevitability of Sundays. I feel the exact same way every single week!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I'm not the only one! It's hard for me to fight my natural negativity...
ReplyDeleteI saw Man on Wire back in the summer. It was a great movie.
ReplyDeleteI thought I knew what it was all about, and was prepared to not enjoy it, but all of a sudden I was sucked into it and was sad to see it end.
I know! It's kinda hard to explain [hence my rambling post] how something that seems like trivial subject matter could become something more...I hope the Academy looks twice.
ReplyDelete