Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Meet The Unemployed Elitist

I know what you're thinking...just who or what is The Unemployed Elitist? Or maybe just...who do you think you are? Well, to that I say...hello, I'm Sydney - I'm 30 years old, I live in sunny Toronto with my amazing partner, I have a university degree and a post-graduate diploma, I love baseball, politics and clever television and yes...I am unemployed. I currently do volunteer work and I'm actively seeking paid work - unfortunately potential employers are not seeking me. As I spent six years in post-secondary education I don't have a huge amount of work experience. Most of it is corporate as I worked for three years working for an executive search firm. I left that job a little over a year ago to reposition myself for a career in the not-for-profit sector...but to be honest things haven't gone according to plan [and I really did have one - this is rare]. For the past year I worked part-time as an administrative assistant for an autism foundation, but left that position in December for greener pastures. I'm still awaiting those pastures.

So - I think that explains the unemployed portion of my blog. The elitist part is perhaps a bit less obvious. I chose it a few months ago in the heat of the US election when it was a keen buzzword. I do enjoy many things that might classify me as an elitist...but at the same time I enjoy many things that might classify me and tacky white trash. I'm an enigma that way. Wrapped in a riddle. And wearing a velvet leopard print tank top. It's hard to explain. But I'm sure that you will get it if you choose to continue reading.

A further thing to address - the blog URL. Yes, it has nothing to do with being The Unemployed Elitist [and it really could have]. Instead, the URL is a reference to a fictional television show created by me and my best friend in high school. It was to be a bizarre talk show/talking head type of show featuring us, a house band and assorted celebrities, political figures and athletes. Sometimes engaging in polite conversation with us, sometimes engaging in humilating and surreal acts [stuffing ferrets into loafers was a favourite image @ the time]. It was part Kenny vs Spenny, part Letterman, part Daily Show, part Sportscentre, part David Lynch. Really, the best of all worlds [suck it Hannah Montana!]. Anyway, it was called Psycho Delinquent Cheerleaders From Hell and it's my hope that once I secure employment the Psycho Delinquent Cheerleader in me will be safe to emerge once more and I can transform this blog into something of a pundit type of thing [us 30 year old, economically depressed, city-dwelling, white chicks are vastly under represented in the media these days].

Okay - enough of an introduction! I understand that you have a choice in blogs and I'm pleased that you may choose mine. I hope to update on most weekdays - telling all about my experiences in job hunting, interviews and assorted wackiness. In addition I also plan to blog about all of the other things that keep me going [or keep me down - I do suffer from clinical depression - something that was probably not so evident in my other blog] during my bleak days of unemployment. Trust me, it might not sound fun right now...but I assure you it will be! Or your money back!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're still blogging!

    I added you to my Blog List.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I linked to your blog last night. When I logged on this morning, this comment was waiting for me...

    "I liked the title of one of your blogs--The Unemployed Elitist--but when I tried to post a comment, I couldn't. Very frustrating when I find these blogs. I would love to return, but not being able to comment makes me crazy."

    You might want to look into it! (If it makes a difference, the person uses something other than Blogger)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting because I have the settings set to accept any comments [after I approve them] - they can be from other blogs or can even be anonymous [none of my real life friends blog]. I will have to run some tests. Thanks for letting me know!

    And thanks for listing my blog!

    ReplyDelete