Monday, September 28, 2009

Day Five: Cooking and Baking

It's officially fall and as a result I've been feeling more and more like baking. I keep saying that I'm just learning to bake and stuff, when really that is not true @ all - I've been a reasonably accomplished baker for at least three years now [I'm defining "reasonably accomplished baker" as someone who makes their own pasty and makes everything from scratch]. I'm still way more comfortable cooking savoury things, but Joseph's sweet tooth is pretty delighted when I do bake. Today I decided to do a little of savoury and a little of sweet and the baked product turned out a bit better than the main course - I think it's the first time that's ever happened.

For dinner I prepared wild mushroom quesadillas. They ended up being super spicy and a bit too plentiful [quesadillas are tasty, but only when they are fresh out of the oven - I've developed quite a taste for day-old nachos, but day-old quesadillas are a soggy mess]. I did a bit of experimentation with the recipe and added a good amount of adobo sauce...I think, too much. Although, I'm pretty certain that any amount would be too much for me. Not really due to the spice, but because I'm allergic to jalapenos. I somehow thought that I wouldn't be allergic to adobo sauce because the jalapenos are stewed in it, but the sauce doesn't contain jalapenos. I was very wrong. I got a bit sick after dinner and again this morning, but fortunately I like the taste of cherry Pepto Bismol. Thankfully I have another good, reliable quesadilla recipe that I tend to make when watching post-season baseball.

For dessert I prepared something brand new to me - nectarine and blackberry johnnycake. What's a johnnycake you ask? A johnnycake is an unleavened sort of pancake made from cornmeal that originated in the 1700s, long before the onset of the traditional pancake. This application used the johnnycake as a topping for the fruit mixture bubbling beneath. So yeah, kinda like a cobbler or a crumble. Fresh out of the oven [much like the quesadillas] it was delicious. The johnnycake topping is slightly savoury [I find anything made with cornmeal tastes a bit salty - in a good way] and the fruit tasted really ripe and fresh underneath - kinda marinating in its own juices. I dunno if it will taste very good the day after, but we shall see. Ice cream makes everything okay, right?

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I'm far more into baking than cooking - cooking for me is more of a chore. I don't mind the actual process of cooking, it's more the figuring out what to make.

    I wouldn't eat the quesadillas myself (due to my intolerance of peppers, Mexican food is not something I have often), but the johnnycake sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! That sounds delicious! I've never heard of a johnnycake, but you've certainly got me wanting to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think johnnycakes were pretty instrumental in feeding early Americans.

    I generally let the cookbooks tell me what to make - to provide the inspiration, anyway. I always, always modify recipes...but I've learned that with baking, this can sometimes be rather disastrous. It's why I still prefer cooking.

    ReplyDelete