Monday, September 21, 2009

The Medium Is The Message

So tonight is the final stop on the Obama TV Express...except for that it feels as though it never really ends. I know that Obama has endured a lot of criticism for being "out there" so much, but I feel like he doesn't really have much of a choice. There is so much misinformation out there and I feel like it was his personality that got him elected. Most of the other Democrats are not as well received and therefore they can't really be counted upon to carry the message [the exception being Bill Clinton - everyone loves that guy]. I think he's really in a damned if he does, damned if he doesn't type of situation - I mean, it's not really his fault that so many other politicians are so repellent. However, I don't know that his constant media appearances make any difference. I feel like he's probably just preaching to the choir @ this point [on well-worn subjects like health care, especially] and that any of the wackos just don't listen to anything he has to say [things like, "I was not born in Kenya" for example]. And I don't think it's fair to compare Obama to old time-y presidents who only made four speeches ever on TV. It's a sign of the times, not of the man - if they had this level of media saturation back in the day, I'm sure all savvy politicians would have taken advantage [and I think it's preferable to the Bush regime where they didn't like to talk about anything in public, even if they shot a guy in the face - literally].

For those not in the late-night know the last stop is of course the Late Show with the big DL. I've already read the media reports [guh - I hate that! always spoiling the late night thunder! and i'm too weak-willed to not read or watch!] and it seems to be the standard stuff [Obama has been on the show before]. Nothing gimmicky like bringing his own Top Ten list or anything [that's a pet peeve of mine] - just discussion on health care, the wars and some family stuff. And, as much as I'm a politics junkie and a fan of late night...I will say that I kinda like it when these two things don't directly intersect. I mean, I like the jokes and satire done on politics...but I don't really like the politicians to make with the funny. It tends to come off as awkward and gives me a case of contact embarassment [not so much with Obama, but it still seems scripted and he's not actor-ly enough to pull it off, despite his considerable talents]. And yes, I know that Dave has gotten very serious business sometimes these days [and I appreciate it most days]...but more often than not, at the end of the day I like a good LOL before retiring for the day. I guess I'm old.

No comments:

Post a Comment