Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Job Interview #14 - Post Mortem

This is not going to be easy. I've always wondered how it would be to truly crash and burn in a job interview. Now I know. It's not a great feeling, in case you were curious. The thing is - I have set myself up for failure time and time again in a job interview situation. Either through improper research on the company/organization or me forgetting to remove chipped black nail polish or whatever. Screwing up has never really been difficult. Today though - I really thought I had things nailed down. I researched the organization and its current and past projects, I prepared answers to expected questions, I wore my Jack Tripper tweed suit [in honour of Three's Company coming back on TV again]...it was all pretty happening. But then I arrived @ the interview and it all stopped happening.

The interview started a full 30 minutes after I arrived. They didn't have a real lobby area so I had to sit on some cushions that were placed on a ledge by the glass window. So much heat being transferred into me and my tweed suit. For a tiny chick, I am quite the sweaty one. The actual interview went okay - I was well prepared, although I was thrown for a loop when they asked me about my experience working with the media and cold calling people/places. I don't really have anything in my background relating to either thing and I didn't see anything relating to either subject in the role description. Then, at the end of the interview they asked me to produce the "communications pieces" I was meant to have brought with me...to which I responded, "???" I was told of no such thing and let them know that.

So, already a bit off my game the interviewer then said - okay, now it's time for the skills testing. I wasn't told about that either [and let them know that, too]. I said that I could stay for the testing and they said that it only 40 minutes was allowed. Now generally, I work quickly in just about every task I'm given, so I wasn't worried. But then I sat down and saw the tasks: 1. write a letter on behalf of the president of the organization to a leading academic to request he contribute an article to our newsletter; 2. take a three-page article and make it into a one-page "backgrounder" suitable for distribution @ a medical conference [spelling and grammar errors as well as formatting issues going from Word document to flyer]; 3. take an existing two-page article and edit for errors using the track changes thing on Word. Aside from the pop quiz factor and the sweat factor and the strange computer/desk factor...I had other problems, too. I don't know what version or set up of Word they were using, but it was completely unfamiliar to me [I guess I've always worked places with ancient versions]. I couldn't even find the "save" thing. Also, I felt that was a lot of work for 40 minutes and I'm used to working very quickly and being bored most of the time @ work. I was completely overwhelmed and really, really sucked it. I'm not trying to make too many excuses because I know it's mostly my fault that I suck but I really wish they had let me know what type of testing [or that testing would happen, period].

I'm now even more disillusioned than ever. The only jobs that are interested in me are the ones I definitely do not want. And now I'm feeling like I'm lacking the skills [seriously? Word fail? I've been using Word since I was fourteen years old!] to get any sort of interesting job [I used to think I was only lacking in experience or education]. So yeah, I managed to make it home without bursting into tears and then ultimately didn't cry anyway because it gives me a headache...I have no idea how to move forward from this.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, I'm sorry the interview was rough. I can't believe they sprung testing and all that on you. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your experience.

    Maybe you need to get some type of unenjoyable job to give you some confidence and pay a few bills. If nothing else, it would get you out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks.

    Based on your description here & with the original interview, they don't seem very organized, so it might be better not to work there.

    You were probably using the latest version of Word. My sister has it on her laptop. Drives me nuts, 'cause I can't find anything either. (The save functionality is at the top left - there's some totally counter-intuitive icon that gets you there.)

    Maybe job interview 15 is the one ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I did some research on the Word thing when I got home. The version I was using did allow me to save, but not "save as" and I was supposed to save in a certain folder [I ended up just dragging it as it was strangely saving everything to the desktop]. Apparently most people hate this version and it doesn't seem like it's very widely used. They had also customized their version so it wasn't the same as the standard version. Kinda unfair I think!

    And yeah, it's true - they didn't exactly create a favourable impression of their organization - during the first try with the interview and yesterday. You're right - maybe a blessing in disguise.

    I've tried going out for some crummy jobs - not getting them left me feeling even more depressed, so I've started really narrowing my job searches. But yeah, I love getting out of the house!

    ReplyDelete