Sunday, September 27, 2009

Days Three and Four: Tarot Cards

I've been playing around with tarot cards for almost longer than I can remember. I don't put any particular faith in them, but my knowledge and ownership of them does make me sometimes popular as people like having their fortunes told. I don't have any psychic ability, nor do I believe in any of that sort of stuff, but I do have a photographic memory. This is helpful when learning to read tarot cards. And then people find it impressive when I give them a reading as I don't have to consult a book or anything. I lost or misplaced my original cards about two years ago and then was lucky enough to find the exact same deck @ a local bookstore [this is helpful as I've memorized the images on that deck]. However, I've never really connected with this particular deck - just memorized it. The deck features tales from Greek myths and I'm definitely more of an ancient Rome kinda gal [although obviously aware of Greek myths because the Romans ripped them off]. I find the art to be quite amateur and a bit awful as well.

Joseph and I were discussing a couple of weeks ago that he once thought of creating the art for his own deck [he doesn't read cards and wasn't sure what had to be included]. I'm aware that you can get tarot cards featuring a wide assortment of pop culture type things - films, TV shows, celebrities...so I started giving some thought to creating my own deck, with Joseph doing the artwork. It was pretty obvious what I should use as a source material - it was even mentioned in the tarot book for my cards as an example of a "modern-day journey" [forgive them - the book was written in the mid-80s]...Star Wars [duh!]! The tarot is meant to represent a journey where one faces choices and battles against dark forces. There are some examples of fan-made Star Wars tarot card, but I'm not impressed. So I've spent the past couple of days trying to design the ultimate Star Wars tarot deck. It's more difficult than I originally thought and I haven't even given thought to four numbered decks. And yes, this is totally more of a project for Joseph - I wish I had some artistic skill, but mostly I excel @ being the taskmaster. I'm a big picture kinda gal - feh to the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment