This interview came about in a bit of an amusing way [well, job hunting amusing, not real life amusing...kinda like the difference between baseball funny and actually funny]. Almost two months ago I got a call for an interview. They left a message for me, but wanted to have the interview the next day. By the time I got home it was well beyond business hours, but I called them back anyway. As it happens they wanted me to go in for an interview the next day and I already had something unmove-able on my schedule. I was miffed @ them calling so late and expecting me to just drop everything and go [people often expect this of the unemployed]. So the interview didn't sort out. Then they called me last week as apparently their past crop of candidates were duds. So, I kinda feel like this might be a bit of kismet @ work here - when odd circumstance turns into good fortune - I think it might be a sign of something good.
The position seems interesting enough...for now anyway. It seems that recently when I attend a job interview the role description pulls a bit of a switcheroo and suddenly becomes a much less interesting role than as advertised. It seems to be a wide-ranging administrative type role @ the coordinator level - nothing that would require reinventing the wheel, but there seems to be a chance to do some writing and communications type stuff. The organization does...stuff? Hmmm, see I'm a pretty bright person, but for quite some time when I was researching the organization I had no idea what it was that they do. I mean, all the words made sense, but when read all strung together...not so much. I think job searching is officially melting my brain. Thankfully Joseph too had a hard time deciphering exactly what was going on there [so I think brain melting is contagious - watch out]...but eventually we put our heads together and sorted it out. It is a research and communications firm that works with other organizations to promote social change [see - it sounds kinda...made up, no?]. Also, the location is awesome [I can bike there!] and the hours are good, too...I'm trying to cover all my bases this time!
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I had something similar happen with my last job. I went in for an interview and it went great, or so I thought. But, I got a rejection letter from them a few weeks later. Fast forward to 2 months later and I get another call from them, asking me to come in for another interview, as the person that they hired didn't work out. They hired me the next day and it ended up being a fantastic job. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
ReplyDeleteExcellent! I hope it works out for you.
ReplyDeleteI last job I had has a completely incomprehensible website. I had no idea what 95% of it was.
I've been on two successful interviews where I had no clue what the businesses did. I can be very charming.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, today was not that day. No charm, no insight, no experience. This was a true crash and burn moment. Of course I will tell all.