Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bonne Fete Canada!

Yes, yes - I know that the Force of July [TM Spike TV - I actually think it's vaguely clever...I mean, for Spike TV and all] weekend is coming up and that's probably of infinite more interest and importance to my dozen of readers - but today is Canada Day so happy 142nd birthday to Canada! I always thought it was a bit funny and clever of us to have our day three days before the Fourth of July - we get to jump the gun on all of the BBQs and fireworks and whatnot. I don't have any personal or family traditions for Canada Day, but I'm sure if I did that they wouldn't be much different from American traditions. Today was a bit of a bust as those who are working only got today off and having a Wednesday off is a bit useless. In fact, Joseph had Monday off and not today so I sat around the house doing even less than normal. No real point in job hunting on the big national holiday, so instead I watched baseball and ate chips and ice cream for lunch and listened to the sounds of other people's enjoyment. Tonight after watching Star Wars Joseph and I went to get Canada Day treats @ McDo and stand around the abandoned Price Chopper parking lot to watch a dozen different fireworks displays at once.

This morning on CBC Radio they had a special on different immigrant stories - basically how/why people chose to come live in Canada - a choice that really all of our ancestors had to make @ one point [unless you are an aboriginal person]. My ancestors came to Canada a very long time ago - possibly before Canada was officially Canada [but then got lazy and stayed in the same county for generation upon generation], however Joseph is an immigrant. His story isn't terribly interesting or scary like people who come to Canada as refugees with like $3 in their pocket and without knowing anyone. I'm not hugely patriotic and nationalism kinda freaks me out, but I guess I would rather be Canadian than most other nationalities. We have things pretty lush here and I am thankful for all of my freedoms and simple luxuries. I always say that I couldn't survive in a harsher or more restrictive climate and I doubt I could [without a serious ass kicking]. However, I'm always aware of the dark side of our history as a nation as well as the current limitations - but all countries have these types of issues. I have seriously considered moving to another country, but as I only comfortably speak one language, I don't have many options. With England I am in awe of their casual reverance for all things art and culture related and I feel like this would really broaden my career horizons...but I find the nation's recent bout of severe xenophobia/racism as well as their turned around ideas on women to be highly troubling. And with America [for one, it's way too difficult to successfully immigrate there - don't let the Mexicans and Lou Dobbs fool you] - while I think that many US cities are much more diverse and vibrant than ours, I feel as though guns and religions are just too important there. So, it's Canada then...by default! Two of the sweetest words in the English language - de fault! de fault! de fault!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the explanation of Canada Day. They acknowledged the holiday on the radio yesterday in passing; I figured it was similar to the Fourth, but I wasn't sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I've noticed in my travels is how Canadian society really does lack classes in ways few places do. In Europe & Africa, class is much more important and restrictive than it is here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colette - I would agree with you on that. Class distinction is particularly odd in England - where it would seem that people have ample opportunity to move on up, what with their free education and all. But you're right - elsewhere, class matters [I would argue that it's still a bit restrictive here and in the US]. Another thing that matters a lot in England [or so it seems] is being British. If you aren't - this is a problem, even with younger and more progressive folk.

    Kathy - I'm not sure I've done Canada Day any great justice or explanation, but yes, it's a bit like the Fourth of July in that it's our country's birthday...although we're still owned and whatnot by the British.

    ReplyDelete