Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Everyone's A Star & Deserves The Right To Twinkle

Tonight is the MLB All-Star Game and I'm looking forward to it. Unlike many baseball purists, I like that the All-Star Game now has meaning...well, as much meaning as one can subscribe to an otherwise pointless sporting event. I cheer for the American League [okay, unless it's a Red Sox player]...but of course if they lose and Boston should make it to the World Series it will be no great misfortune. Last night was also the Home Run Derby, which was a little disappointing to be honest. I feel like Busch Stadium is not really a hitter's ballpark, so the numbers were a bit low, making for a less than thrilling three + hours. I will admit though, Prince Fielder's larger than life physique is practically hypnotic to watch in action. It's like a lava lamp. The boringness of the Home Run Derby also gave me plenty of opportunity to Google the Gateway Arch, which was in the background of the stadium and emblazoned on the outfield in the grass, along with what I'm assuming is a state building [I guess I could Google that, too]? I am very impressed with the arch - of course I've known about it before, but it was cool to see the trams/observation deck [so Space Odyssey 2001!]...it's just so pleasing. Clean, classic and contemporary and highly reflective - I've always been attracted to shiny objects - but now I'm beyond jealous that we've got the tacky CN Tower and St. Louis has the arch!

Anyway, it's double exciting that two Blue Jay players will be in the starting line-up this evening. Of course, Yankees players will also be there, but it's old hat to them and I'm secretly that pathetic type of Canadian that enjoys any sort of attention lavished our way [even though the two players are not Canadian] by our American pals. Roy Halladay will be the starting pitcher and Canada will lay claim to him for as long as we possibly can - and try to forget about the trade rumours for the night. It seems pretty inevitable though and I certainly don't begrudge an athlete for wanting to also be a champion and seeking that out. I do always wonder how athletes feel playing for Toronto though - by all accounts Halladay has been very gracious towards our city [and by extension, the rest of the country, although the rest of the country doesn't like us much] and the organization. I don't see Toronto as being a super small market, especially when contrasted with Kansas City, Minnesota or Milwaukee...but it is a different country and maybe that puts off players [though it's probably just the lack of money that is a turn off]. TBTP say that this is going to be a rebuilding period for the Toronto Blue Jays...and, I guess that's okay...but I just wonder when they are going to be all built again? I feel like they keep getting built up and then torn down again by those wealthy teams. At least Halladay and cutie patootie Aaron Hill have tonight to shine.

2 comments:

  1. The other building in the outfield is the Old Courthouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked it up after I posted. The architecture is lovely - very classic American. I was so impressed with the outfield art!

    ReplyDelete