So, today is the day - it's BEERFEST 09! While I'm not quite sure that three dudes having some beer while sitting @ someone's picnic table qualifies as a true BeerFest [I tend to think that if it's a true "fest" that one should consume a lot of beer or at least a great variety of beer] - but I will, as always, trust in the liberal media to give me the real scoop. I have no clue why this so-called "summit" has attracted so much attention. I mean, I get it because the media is nutso and likes to blow things up - especially trivial stuff like this - but I would be much more impressed if they covered true diplomatic summits with the same vigor. And yes, as much as I still think Obama is a cool dude, I'm afraid I agree more with his off-the-cuff police behaved "stupidly" remark than his let's get together for beer [and snacks? will there be snacks?!? will anyone get hammered and take a spin on Malia and Sascha's playground? I NEED TO KNOOOWW!!!]. It smacks of boys club type politics - yknow - let's slap each other on the back and pound some brews and whatnot. Bleh.
Of course, it's also true that I'm jealous of this type of interaction. I've always struggled to maintain friendships with other females and looked to my guy friends and how they interacted with people and felt it made more sense [but learned time and time again that this approach was *not* to be tried with the womenfolk under any circumstance]. With boys things seemed to be solved by either punching a guy and then having beers or by some other form of direct "communication." With women, things are much more complicated and mean-spirited. If two guys didn't agree philosophically, it wasn't a big problem...with girls, it's a big problem. Personally I think that this whole BeerFest thing is an obvious and transparent media stunt, but I do think it speaks to a nicer part of the "boys will be boys" dynamic. I might be naive, but I think they can enjoy a beer together. However, I don't think it will resolve this conflict...or, yknow, racism and stuff.
But still, the idea of bringing together two conflicting persons/sides over libation in one's backyard in the fading summer light - it's pretty irresistible. I've been thinking a lot about who I would select as opposing people to get together in my backyard to solve their conflict. I'm having some problems though as I don't really have a backyard and I haven't been drinking alcohol for the past few months. That being said, I do make a mean batch of sangria or margaritas - that would give things a true summer festive feel. I'm not keen on American beer [understatement alert], so I'm certainly not giving Obama a thumbs up on the whole Bud Light thing, but I do like many other types of beer. As for who to invite to my imaginary BeerFest summit [which, due to my lack of backyard would have to be held in my depressing, highly non-summery apartment]...I'm still undecided. I would like it to be a bit personal, but that makes things more difficult. Toronto's garbage strike has all but officially wrapped up [thankfully] and I don't feel swayed by any of the Hollywood/hot celeb gossip feuds that I know of...though I wonder if I got David Lynch together with Mark Frost if they would kiss and make up and make more Twin Peaks? Or something equally awesome? Upon further reflection, I can see that I will need to put more thought into my own imaginary BeerFest 09.
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Haha, loved this post. :)
ReplyDeleteI think I'd go with Keith Olbermann & Bill O'Reilly for Beerfest in my backyard (which is also nonexistent). I'm stuck on who I'd pick to moderate, though...
As you are hosting, a la Obama, you would be the moderator. And a brave one @ that with those guests!
ReplyDeleteHaha, I don't know that I could handle it...unless I had my very own Biden to offer support, haha.
ReplyDeleteIt surprised me when Biden turned up @ BeerFest 09...but I was all ready to make some snide remark about him boozing explains his big mouth...but it turns out that he's a teetotal! Just like me! I knew I had more in common with Biden than Obama.
ReplyDelete