Tuesday, July 7, 2009

To A Fatherless Child All Things Are Possible And Nothing Is Safe

Okay, so I've been putting this off and putting this off, but I really feel as though today is the last day I can vent in a legit kinda way - nevertheless I'm finding this to be incredibly tedious and even more Hearts were played before I got around to writing today. Feh. To start, let me just say that I am no fan of Michael Jackson. Although that might be sacriledge to say on a day like today, I'm pretty certain if I said it two weeks ago I would have a strong majority backing me up. And yes, I'm familiar with the whole notion of not speaking ill of the dead - it's not that - I just think that the dead deserve our honesty as much as the living. And for the record, I am a non-fan not because of the whole possible molestation thing...but because I think he's a weirdo narcissist who manipulated people and was, in a word, quite creepy. And yes, I remain unswayed by his talent - yes, he could sing and dance...and yes, he had an increasingly bizarre and sometimes downright unfortunate life that no doubt contributed to his increasingly bizarre and sometimes downright unfortuate life choices. But still...just say no. And still, I blog - I feel it's my sad duty as a doyenne of hot celeb gossip.

Since his death on June 25th the media has gone insane [and by media, I mean the outlets that I frequent/obsess over]. Hot celeb gossip central is absolutely no fun @ all anymore. The snark, she is gone. All of the ONTD kids have gone nutso and totally maudlin for MJ. When I heard of his death I was @ the BSM and then out for dinner and then off to see frakking Showgirls on the big screen - got home and didn't turn on the femputer - but I was expecting the snark to continue. The next morning I was severely disappointed [ONTD skews young - these kids have only known the strange and commercially unsuccessful Jackson]. CNN has also lost their minds. Today they went like four hours with no advert break in order to cover the MJ memorial. Yup, the Obama inauguration is *so* six months ago - the thing that's hot right now is faded and deceased pop stars. Not just hot, but apparently completely and totally important and newsworthy. I find it interesting and noteworthy that on the day Elvis Presley died, the evening news didn't lead with his death. Interesting. I'm maintaining that MJ's memorial is not news and I damn near joined MJ this afternoon - shouting @ CNN damn near gave me an anyeurism. And please, if you *are* going to haul out all of your journalistic top guns - please try to present your so-called news stories in an objective manner - it's really the least you could do [and that's all I expect anyway]. And yes, I could have turned off the television, but then I would have missed what is apparently destined to be a pop culture touchstone [also, I'm unemployed].

But, but, but - as cynical as I am I would have to be a breathtakingly cold-hearted bitch to not be touched by MJ's daughter, Paris [super unfortunate name, kid] @ the memorial. For me, it was the genuine moment of the entire two weeks. Her little speech was very telling and very normal. Not just for a kid her age, but any kid who has lost a father. I didn't speak @ my dad's funeral, but if I did I suspect it would have been a lot like her words - that ever since I was born my dad was the best father I could imagine. And I loved him. I would like to think that @ their core, that's how people feel...no matter what else they - or anyone else - might feel. And, when you're in that moment - burying a parent - you really are reduced to an eleven-year-old girl.

5 comments:

  1. I could not agree more. We had 8 channels covering the memorial service yesterday, 3 of them in Spanish. And as I sit here watching the news, they're still showing highlights...
    (PS-The last paragraph got me. Great writing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get the media attention, but also the attention of regular people. Not all regular people, obviously - I don't know many people who have even mentioned it - but the people who "had" to be at the memorial, or who appear to be devastated. Personally, I've read more about it than I really care to, but, as you said, it's pretty much all that's out there right now.

    However, for those kids at least, it is a tragedy. It must be far more difficult to go through with the media attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tell you, if someone had shoved a camera in my face @ my father's funeral - one would have got quite the reaction...and I was a decade older than young Paris.

    Jen - after I posted this and had shut down my femputer, I remembered I didn't spell check and I knew there was no way I knew how to spell "anyeurism" - so thanks for the kudos anyway.

    Yes, the memorial was on just about every channel...curiously enough our entertainment channel did NOT carry it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also moved to tears by what Paris had to say. These children lost the person who they knew as Dad and coming from a person who lost their Dad back in 08 my heart really went out to her. I do agree that every channel did not have to carry it. From what I hear the Media coverage was a lot like it was when Elvis died. I was not old enough to remember that at all...not even sure I was born yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just think the media has lost it - and it's way easier to cover fluffy stuff so that's what they go for...also, it gets them higher ratings which gives them more $$$. Sad, but understandable.

    The loss of a parent is very difficult - you will only ever have one dad. I know I have commented on your father before...I'm sorry to say that it doesn't always get better...but sometimes it does...I like it when I'm able to get angry with my dad and then work things out...

    ReplyDelete