For the past several weekends, my entertainment schedule has consisted of going to see films @ the Bloor Cinema. As I have only lived in one city, I'm not sure if it's common to have a cinema that only plays not-new films. Sometimes they are vaguely new/maybe still in theatres, but are likely at least a month past their premiere. The films are cheap, the snacks are cheap...in conclusion it's quite wonderful [though yes, not as neat and tidy as the big box cinemas - as a result, less people and more room to stretch out]. Anyway, yesterday we went to see Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. There's something quite comforting about going to see a film that you've seen a gazillion times before. You pretty much know that you're going to have a good time. This was actually the first Indiana Jones film that I saw as a kid and I pretty much thought it was the finest film EVER. It had everything that I liked in films/stories - a mine cart race, a room that crushes you, lots of bugs, people getting their hearts pulled out, a giant cascade of water rushing towards someone, a rickety suspension bridge, strange food - it all seemed so exotic and exciting. Even now that I'm old and supposed to have grown up and appreciate Raiders of the Lost Ark...I still have a soft spot for Temple of Doom.
It was totally worth it to see it on the big screen, too. Last year we saw a double feature of Raiders/Last Crusade and that was pretty good - although honestly I feel that Temple of Doom benefited the most from the upgrade from my living room to proper cinema. It's just the kind of film that needs to be seen on a big screen in the dark...or maybe also @ the drive-in. It's just so over the top - even if you've got a fancy home theatre....it just can't compare. And while we have seen a number of classic films @ the Bloor over the past couple of years - only a few have really stuck in my mind as being definite stand-outs - Space Odyssey [I don't think it's possible to see this @ home - it's entirely too grand], Blade Runner and yes, Showgirls [shush it - it's one of my very favourite films to watch again and again and again - and on the big screen - simply glorious - it reaches all new levels of awfulness that really pass you by on the sofa]. As much as I'm some big hermit, I'm happy with being surprised @ how amazing some films are in the theatre - even if I've seen them hundreds of times, it feels all brand new again.
[I also saw Fire Walk With Me last night and it was disappointed. I didn't mind as I'm happy to not be a total Lynch stan. I still want more Twin Peaks though.]
Sunday, July 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment