I'm sure I've mentioned a few times over the course of this blog that when I was growing up I wanted to be an astronaut. Sadly, this was not one of my standard blithe, sarcastic remarks - I really did want to be an astronaut. Yeah, I was *that* kid. I went to Space Camp/Academy multiple times, I built and modified more than one telescope, most of my heroes were astronauts, I had books and instructional manuals on how to fly a space shuttle...I was quite the epic dork. Then in grade nine I realized I was absolutely terrible @ math and knowing that the only way I could earn a pilot's license would be to join the military [which I knew I would suck @ as I don't respond well to shouting/authority]...so then I decided to be a lawyer [and we all know how well that turned out]. But I still geek out a fair bit about space - both in terms of fictional stuff and the much less exciting reality [okay, the reality is really cool too - my mind gets blown on a regular basis by Stephen Hawking].
So tonight there was a bit of a real life space event in these parts. They are pretty few and far between as, living in a major metropolitan area, we have to deal with a lot of light pollution. But tonight we could see the international space station make its way across the night sky! As a bonus, it was being "chased" by a Russian rocket thing that I don't know much about, except that it was about a minute behind the space station and much more faint in appearance [very fortunate to be able to see it]. The space station was very easy to spot and moving @ quite the clip in a northeasterly direction - the entire trip lasting less than five minutes. We did have to go out into the street to catch a glimpse...but it's okay as our neighbours are used to my antics by now. Even with the naked eye, it was clear that the space station was rectangular in size and not anything else in the sky. Apparently with a regular telescope you can see the panels and everything. The space station is approximately one football field in length and apparently they can see lots and lots of Earth stuff up there. So be good - someone might be watching.
[the space station will be visible many more times in toronto and probably your area too, assuming you live on earth. joseph found a website with the dates/times durations but he's playing videogames and can't get it for me now.]
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's pretty cool. I didn't realize you could see it (although it makes sense, now that I think about it).
ReplyDeleteYour post made me realize that one of the best things about being an adult is that you can be into things without having to be serious about them and people will accept it in a way they won't when you're a kid. There's a lot less pressure to fit in - and a much bigger pool of people you will mesh with. So if you're interested in space, others will be far more likely to accept it without it becoming your whole identity.
The thing is that I *was* that kid. I made everything I was interested in my identity. I still do. I have far less friends now than what I used to...I dunno if it's because I have weirdo interests...or if I'm just *that* unpleasant to be around!
ReplyDeleteI know - after I found out we could see it...I was like...wait - why can't we always see it?