Interviews and jobs in general seem to be @ a premium over the summer months - there seems to be no shortage of internships and things like that for kids returning to college and university, but jobs suitable for the young, eager professional [that would be] have really dropped off. Someone I know says that summer is the most delicious time to be unemployed, but I'm not sure I agree. You feel more helpless when you're not even applying for any job and the nice weather aims to open up your pocketbook @ every opportunity. You can't justify hunkering down and not going out when the weather is nice and then there is the issue of a summer holiday [I had promised myself one if I get a job within the confines of summer]. And then, when you do get an interview it's always more of a struggle to find something suitable and vaguely comfortable to wear. Although the place seems to be a bit elitist [it seems to be my lot in life to surround myself with the blue blooded/wealthy], they assured me the interview would last no more than 20 minutes and seemed very casual [it's a boys private school and it's the summer, so I think things are relaxed]. I think I will likely go with a long dress with jacket combination...no pantyhose. Gotta keep cool.
As always I'm divided on the actual job. The negatives: it's only a part-time job, working twenty hours per week. I don't know what the pay is yet, but I do know that they would want me there everyday, which is a lot like working full-time, but without the benefits. Also, the job description might be a bit misleading. The title of the job is communications assistant, which greatly appeals to me - I would like to get a start in that field, am willing to work my way up and working for a small organization is a great way to get your hands into everything and be trusted with more responsibilities. However, I'm not sure if the focus is on the communications aspect or the assistant aspect. I'm not overly keen on being someone's assistant and a part-time receptionist if I don't get to do a good deal of communications-type activities. The positives? Aside from the whole communications aspect [if it exists, it would be a good opportunity to give me some experience in a field I would like to work in, even if the hours are unattractive]...the location is okay - it's about a ten minute walk from Joseph's office, which would allow us to travel home on the amazing bus together [the bus has a quota of crazy people on it @ all times so it's pretty elitist too]. Also, I'm hoping that, if successful, they are a bit flexible with the part-time hours - I firmly believe that part-time employment should be accommodating to both the employer and the employee - an employee is truthfully not getting enough out of a part-time job if it doesn't free their time to do other things. I'm trying to have an open mind about this job - I think I'm just getting desperate.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good luck with the interview. I hope everything works out the way you want it to. :)
ReplyDeleteI know I'm very picky. I just struggle with the notion of part-time work - although it depends what you are doing with the other part of your time. It's ideal if you are in school or have other things going on...otherwise it stinks...and I need a real job!
ReplyDeleteI know exactly how you feel!
ReplyDelete