Monday, August 3, 2009

Job Interview #9

Interviews are not exactly being flung my way @ a pace that I would describe as fast and furious. Therefore, I'm taking advantage of everything and anything that floats my way. Semi-recently I talked about how I would be willing to do a lower-level type of job [not a career move, but a job - big difference] in order to keep myself afloat and more sane. I originally thought that this type of job would be in retail or something else that is highly customer-service oriented, like a coffee job. However, the other day I applied for a job as a "professional receptionist" and lo and behold, I got the call for an interview. I am certainly no professional receptionist, but I have reception-ed before and I am well-aware that a so-called "professional receptionist" would earn more than just a regular one. So, off we go.

Truthfully, I always enjoyed playing receptionist. I do think it's an important role and I had an excellent role model in Mary, the receptionist for the executive search firm I used to work for. She taught me everything I know - including how the receptionist is the face of the organization in many ways and what can be done with the role. I continued my relief reception-ing well after I got my promotion away from it as I found it to be fun. I liked speaking to everyone [even briefly], transferring calls and letting people know that so-and-so was there to see them and then serving up drinks. It was very much a no fuss, no muss type of role for me - it allowed me to interact with people, to soothe rumpled feelings and nerves...but then also to back off and not think too much. I'm still not sure about this role as the location might be a bit of a hassle for the type of stress-level I'm looking for, but it does seem to be a straightforward reception/light admin. type of role that would allow me to pursue something else in my off time. However, I would have to give up @ least one of my volunteer roles and I don't like the thought of that as my volunteer work is what's connecting me to my true career goal. We shall see...I will attempt to look my most "professional" tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I know that many people [you, obviously] say good luck when I announce my interviews...but I always, always appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete