Quite a flurry of activity on the job front [both of the paid and unpaid variety] and epic summer laziness = no updates. Apologies. I've also been on some top secret missions over the past week that I am not at liberty to discuss on le blog. For many of these missing days I have been out of the house until the evening. By that point it's baseball, Daily Show/Colbert and then bed with more of the same the next day.
- I went back to the sweatshop for the second interview [Job Interview #10.2]. They had their air conditioning fixed, which is really the most positive thing I can say about this particular interview. Things got weird. The questions were inane and very vague, but intended to pull apart specific answers. The whole vibe was different from the first interview. They did a poor job of answering my questions. There was talk of a third interview. Also, talk of me being considered for some other role that they provided no further information on. I left feeling pretty disgruntled. They said they would get back to me over the weekend, but it's now Tuesday and I haven't heard anything. I'm pretty certain this is not the right opportunity for me, but I like closure and it's hella rude to have multiple interviews, referencing, an assignment...and then no turn-off phone call. They did compliment my writing skills though [in reference to the assignment they gave me]. That's something.
- I've started my AGO Ambassador-ship @ the CNE. I won't lie - it's a pretty miserable assignment. Hours standing @ the AGO booth @ the CNE [which is like a big state fair - even though I've not been to one of these, I think this is an accurate descpription] and supervising kids making tiny drawings to be pasted on to a mosaic that's on display @ the booth [and then will be binned]. The main problem is the standing [as much as I don't like interacting with kids - I can focus on the parents and other people who stop by in a fried food/sugar daze]. My knee is absolutely broken down as a result of the standing. Foolishly I thought I would have a stool or chair or something. I dunno what to do for my remaining shifts - my cane doesn't do much for when I'm standing.
- I had Job Interview #11 via telephone [it was a full-scale interview though, not a standard phone interview, which tend to be lacking in substance and length]. It was for a project coordinator role with a not-for-profit organization. My sense is that the organization is very small as the person interviewing me didn't have office space. The role is interesting and more than a standard administrative role - the opportunity to do research, analyze surveys and do some writing. Joseph was in the next room during the interview and says I performed well, but I'm not so sure. The interviewer's phone kept cutting out [she acknowledged this], which was annoying and I had to keep asking her to repeat things. She then asked for references and said that she would be contacting them...but then might not follow up with me if I'm not a successful candidate. I applaud her for being so straightforward about her rudeness. Seriously - I don't get it. You would invest the time/energy/money to contact my references - but then you can't spare the 45 seconds it would take to call me and say that I'm not the chosen one?
- Job Interview #12 will be happening on Friday. I'm going with cautious optimism on this one, thus far. The organization is one that is doing important work and the role seems interesting as [once again] it's more than simply administrative. It is for a special events assistant [guh - I do hate the word assistant though - I much prefer administrator or coordinator], but would also involve other development/fundraising type of activities like dealing with donors and the monies and whatnot. I really like events planning type things and did a lot of it in my previous role. I like all of the deadlines and the pressure of that type of environment makes me thrive.
- Joseph had a long weekend this past one. It was his last one of the summer and obviously nice to have around, but he will be away next week on business so it kinda sours things [I know it shouldn't, but it does]. Hopefully I won't be bludgeoned. We didn't do much with the extra time off [unemployment tends to paralyze you that way - oh how I would love even a weekend of summer fun] - we hung out in Yorkville eating ice cream and hot dogs and buying roses...we watched the international version of the pilot for Twin Peaks and I was shocked @ how terrible it was...and we ate pho and milkshakes - I had the ciku and it was so tasty [although unfortunately it looked like that hot dog slurry I blogged about ages ago] - had the flavour of slightly caramelized sugar and caramel. Delicious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are darn right! That is hella rude not to call. Some people...
ReplyDeleteI was just a bit stunned that they would be so upfront with their rudeness. I didn't know what to say! However, they contacted me today for the second-round interview...but I'm sure if I don't get the job they won't let me know. Ha.
ReplyDeleteWow, that's a lot of interviews! I hope something comes together for you soon.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm a bit out of control with interviews lately. Honestly I'm feeling quite burned out on it. For Thursday's interview I could barely muster up any of my usual unbridled enthusiasm. I think there is a risk in going to too many interviews - you really start to disengage from them.
ReplyDelete