Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Location, Location, Location

The "upfront with rudeness" people would very much like to have a second-round interview with yours truly and I decided I should grant them that as I like having good excuses to leave the house [today I feel like I'm living below a fully opearational state-of-the-art George Lucas approved THX movie theatre - things are shaking like I'm in Jurassic Park]. And then I figured out where this office was located. It's as close to the middle of nowhere as I've ever been in Toronto. I will have to take three subways and walk for at least 20 minutes to get to this office. I estimate that it will take me at least one hour and fifteen minutes to travel there. Let's just say that things are not looking up for Upfront with Rudeness.

I've honestly never been faced with this problem before. In Toronto most things seem to be accessible within about 45 minutes from where I live. Any office I've ever worked, any restaurant I eat at, movie theatres I frequent, friends homes, hotels for family members, sporting activities and other special events I attend, the airport [both of them] - all easily within a 45 minute journey on public transit and/or my swift feet. Adding another 30 minutes to regular travel time seems cumbersome. Don't get me wrong, the role still seems interesting enough and I fully realize that many people commute for much longer than 75 minutes [though in my hometown, it's rare to commute for longer than 15 minutes, if you commute @ all - when I was in high school a visit to my best friend 45 minutes away seemed like an eternity and I couldn't imagine doing that daily]...but I feel like the location does have to factor into my decision. I mean, provided Upfront with Rudeness is interested in my services, that is.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if I would be able to handle a 20-minute walk after all those subway changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine a commute that long. The longest commute I've ever had is 15-20 minutes (on a regular day, of course- major snowstorms or construction have made it longer). Right now, I'm hoping for a job even closer than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm perfectly okay with a commute of up to one hour [during rush hour, the subways tend to come very frequently, so it would likely be less than one hour].
    And yes, the walking - I was anticipating 20 minutes total [I have a 10 minute walk to the subway from my house]...but no - it was more like 20 minutes on their end, 10 on mine. Just too, too much.

    ReplyDelete