I think there's a word or a turn of phrase for when something crummy happens, but it sorta turns in your favour as a result...if not, there should be [and someone should clearly enlighten me as to what it is]. While we've had a much talked about cool/rainy summer here in Toronto, it seems that on those rare occasions when I leave the house - that's when it heats up or the humidity is out of control. Like today. By the time I got to the office for the job interview, I was sweaty. My Chewbacca-like hair has grown so long that it's now too heavy to tidily sweep into a ponytail or bun [it just falls down...slowly, but still], so I decided to employ a new headband thing. Sweaty neck and back times resulted. But, I thought - well, at least when I get there I will be kicked in the buns by the super air conditioning that every office seems to have...except that...their air conditioning was broken! My main sweat problem switched to my face - when my face gets at all sweaty, my glasses will not stay put [they lack a nose pincher thing as my skin is really sensitive and I find it painful] - I'm constantly pushing them back up my face. So, with the hot room shut up and two interviewers facing me down I made the executive decision to remove my glasses. The result? They were vaguely amorphous blurry human shaped blobs and I found that I was able to switch back and forth between them [visually, I mean] more easily without looking like that shifty-eyed dog from The Simpsons. I felt a lot more comfortable as I wasn't looking for all of those subtle visual cues that humans give off. I think I will remove my glasses for more interviews.
The interview itself went better than expected, infrastructure problems notwithstanding. The one interviewer was really extremely very animated. Like, to a cartoonish degree [I think that if I would have been wearing my glasses I might have been visibly freaked out/taken aback]. I kinda felt like my sweaty, blurry energy couldn't compete with this, but it was nice to feel like someone was really interested in what I was saying. That always helps. Both of the interviewers were very engaged in what I was saying - meaning that I felt like I scored some ding! ding! ding! type of answers to their questions. Again, another well thought out interview - no standard silly questions or how well do you know computer software X [seriously, just give me a test]...although - the question of "what would your best friend say about you" did come up again...I'm curious as to what the "correct" answer is to this...anyone, anyone, Bueller, anyone? I'm still not 100% on the type of role that this is...I asked if there was room for growth, if it was purely administrative, if the successful candidate would manage their own projects/aid in key decision making or simply support more senior staff. I'm not entirely satisfied with the answers...though I find that I'm a bit amp-ed up in interviews and the answers seem okay @ the time given and/or I can't think of decent follow-up questions. They want references [they wanted them before the interview, I said no] before going ahead with second-round interviews and I did provide them [early referencing bugs the bejeesus out of me]...so that's something.
In other, more superficial news - I wore heels today and the results are not good. My feet/legs/back don't mind this type of snazzy footwear, but my bad knee is really not pleased with me @ all. I'm wondering if I have to say goodbye to high heels forever? I certainly hope not...I need some better knee aftercare program [my current regime is just to complain about it].
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Way to adapt! I had an interview a couple of weeks ago and I found out when I was talking to the HR person in the "pre-interview" that it was an "as-needed" position. Essentially, I could work a day and then not be needed again for a month. When I found that out, I knew I didn't want it and I was more than laid back during the interview, not my typical nervous self. And even though there were a lot of interviews for the position, I ended up getting a call offering me a job a couple of days later. I guess I need to go into more interviews thinking that I don't actually want the job. Haha.
ReplyDeleteI've had a couple of interviews where I didn't really want the job and I answered questions very honestly instead of giving the "ideal" or expected answer. In all cases, the people were very interested in me afterwards. As a result, that's now the approach I'm using with all my interviews.
ReplyDeleteI'm still not sold on this job, but things on the homefront are bleak, so I might go for it just so I can move.