So on Saturday I got myself all gussied up [okay, the baseball-friendly version of gussied up] and headed out to fetch my autograph. I couldn't lose! Oh wait, except for that I did. Not only did I not get my autograph, instead I was rewarded with a fabulous sunburn. Yes, I'm an idiot...again. The thing is, our summer has been quite cool and filled with lots of rain - numerous sources told us that it would [quite improbably] thunderstorm ALL DAY on Saturday. I believed them. Also, I thought that given this dire weather warning that the dome would be sealed up tight, thus protecting us baseball faithful from this hideous 24-hour storm. But, no - it was wide open. The combination of open dome + crazy line to nowhere for nothing resulted in me being a red lobster [I still am today and it's paining me].
I guess I will have to wait on the autograph. God only knows when Roberto Alomar might be headed back to the great white north...the incredible line-ups shows that the Blue Jays [at least the Blue Jays of yore] still enjoy tremendous fan support. In fact, I'm not too sure how many of these public events they held after their back-to-back championship wins. The numbers in attendance @ the reunion weekend would suggest that our sleepy little burg is hungry for more. The Blue Jays have these "Flashback Fridays" on Friday homegames, but they don't always have an autograph session with a former player. I do believe it is time to step up their game - there were so many disappointed fans on Saturday [and possibly on other days too]. The players only signed for 45 minutes - maybe 1/4 of the fans in line got an autograph [to their credit the players seemed to spend a good deal of time with each fan - not like frakking Anne Rice who wouldn't even LOOK @ her fans @ a big, fancy book signing I went to back in the 90s]. I was about to incite a riot [okay, I've done it before, but it was when I was covered under the Young Offenders Act, so I don't have a criminal record - I was obviously a criminal mastermind back then]...but decided that riot-inciting is only for silly boybands, not something as exciting as baseball.
Monday, August 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment