In the average day I look @ a lot of job postings - some of them I have absolutely no interest in, others are jobs that are too senior or maybe too junior for me. I like to know what else is out there - what I should be looking towards for the future and such. Sometimes a posting can seem interesting, so I hang on to it and think about it for a day or so and then ultimately give it the thumbs up or down [usually thumbs up since job descriptions are often poorly written, so I like to give things a chance]. The job that I have an interview for tomorrow...I was pretty convinced that I gave it the thumbs down. A further inspection of my email sent box shows that I'm just losing my mind - I did apply for it - way back when in July, but it did happen.
Since I can't remember why I decided to apply for it, I've spent some time today researching the organization. It's a not-for-profit that promotes diversity in the workplace, on campus and in schools. I feel like I might have given it a mental pass due to me not being terribly diverse. I'm just a painfully average white girl. Aside from not having any money - there is no reason why anyone would discriminate against me based on my religion, race, orientation, ability or anything else. I mean, I applaud the organization's efforts in this field and everything...but I feel like I'm not the person they are looking for...like, visually? Talking about this type of stuff just never gets easier, even with the raging success of BeerFest 09 - The Brew To End Racism Forever. Anyway...I'm still going to the interview [which the organized over email, which I still don't like and can't be the only one who feels this way]...even though the other reason I wasn't wild about the position is that it seems to kinda sorta maybe be an assistant type role. As in, executive assistant type of role - the person I would be working for would be involved in development/fundraising...I think I might just be chief executive photocopier.
Monday, August 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hmm. I tend to agree with you about job postings - they are often vague, and don't ask for what they really are looking for.
ReplyDeleteAre you familiar with Peter's New Jobs? They send an e-mail every business day with all new job postings. There's an Ottawa edition and a Toronto edition. It helps make looking for postings easier.
I am not familiar with that, but I will check it out for sure. Thanks for the tip!
ReplyDeleteEven after the interview...I'm still confused as to who/what they are looking for...sometimes I feel like they don't know either. It's very frustrating.