Saturday, August 29, 2009

Post Mortems - Job Interview #11.2 and Job Interview #12 - Job Interview #13

I think I've officially been on too many job interviews. I admit - many of the interviews were for positions that I wasn't too into...but I figured that it was a good experience. Also, as a raging narcissist I quite enjoy talking about my favourite subject - me. However, I think I'm officially burned out on this activity. So I really, really hope that I get a job soon or I fear I will forever lose the capacity to get one.

- Job interview #11.2 was located in the middle of nowhere. For Toronto. I was having a really, really desparately hard time getting myself up for this as I strongly suspected I wouldn't be interested due to the location [spoiler alert - I was right]. I put on my favourite black suit and SpongeBob SquarePants underwears in a vain attempt to make this expedition an exciting one. As it happens, the offices were located even further from me than I had originally worked out. Pretty much a full 90 minutes away. Bleh. And then, the interview went on...and on and on. For well over 90 minutes. My throat was hoarse and I was incredibly hungry. I can't imagine that I was a very good candidate after the initial hour. Turns out they are very interested in me...I am mentally working up my rejection letter. The job isn't as interesting as I thought and the location is a total dealbreaker. I should really start checking out that important piece of information for any future jobs.

- Job interview #12 was really the polar opposite. The location is good and the offices are contained within a funky building in the old part of Toronto, which is neat. I decided to wear my new Easter outfit that my mum bought me in April so that I wouldn't feel too hideously overdressed @ the AGO afterwards [and it's a nice dress that gives me a lot of confidence because I look good in it and it's new]. My interviewer was very much dressed for casual Friday - her top was one of those ones that look like tattoos and it was super low-cut. She started off by saying that she doesn't like formal interviews and just wanted to chat about me, my career goals and the types of things I'm looking for. Sigh of relief [to the point where I had to tell her that I thought this process was awesome]. We wrapped up in just over 30 minutes, with her telling me that we could definitely work together and telling me to call them [if they don't call me first] before accepting any other job offers. I'm casually optimistic about this. The organization and role both seem really interesting...but if there is a candidate who speaks better French than I do, I am dead in the water, I think. But yeah, I love being told that I'm bright and clever and that my resume stands out as "better than good" in a crowd of hundreds.

- Job Interview #13 will happen next week. It is my first/only interview in the arts and culture sector EVER. It also happens to be for an administrative role [they still call them "secretary!"] at Ontario's best-known arts and design college. The role is pretty so-so, but I am very eager to get my feet wet in anything relating to my main area of interest. The pay is also the highest of any job I've interviewed for thus far - I would be making the most money of my professional life. So yeah, getting out of my miserable life of poverty is pretty tempting too.

- Through my amazing connections @ the AGO [okay, I stand there and harass people into renting audio guides and they have a paid employee who sits there to take the monies] I scored myself two tickets to a little film festival happening tonight @ the National Film Board of Canada. It's totally not fancy/exclusive [like the "real" film festival that's coming up], but it might be okay for some free Saturday evening entertainment. Also on tap for weekend fun is going to see District 9, which I'm hoping will be quite good [I'm using it as a failsafe in case the film fest sucks]. We rarely go see films in August as they tend to really stink - but there seems to be a couple good ones out there this year [yes, I'm curious about Inglourious Basterds even though I swore off Tarantino after Death Proof].

- I had a pretty terrific migraine yesterday and worked through it with no additional medications. Generally I'm getting about one migraine per month [previously it was one every 13 days, so this is improvement] and they are much less severe than normal. Yesterday I was able to go shopping @ the dreaded Eaton Centre and do a full shift @ the AGO before seeking out the comfort of my dark bedroom + baseball on TV. I wasn't dizzy or throwing up and not too, too achy breaky all over so I decided to just lie still, eat soup, drink herbal tea and doze a bit when necessary [hooray for rain delay!]. My migraine sorta came and went in terms of severity - limiting movement and controlling hot/cold things [temperature and food] seems to be key. So yeah, no riding the crazy pill train for me and I woke up this morning feeling pretty darn a-okay.

2 comments:

  1. Interviews can be a pain in the butt. I remember going all the way across town to one (and this lady was the biggest priss in the world) and leaving thinking "I would never work here after the way she turned her nose up at me"---she told me a committee had to approve me before she could hire me and "They never approve anyone"--3 weeks later I got the job I am at right now and then 5 months AFTER the interview with Miss Priss I get a rejection letter. I was like "Yep, I am still waiting by the phone for you to call." (All sarcasm intended)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had many interviews that ultimately end in rejection...often yes, weeks after the interview. It tends to be for silly jobs that I'm overqualified for, but they act as though it's super important and I'm a big clod.

    ReplyDelete