Okay, so I'm happy to report that I scored 16 out of 24 in my Oscar predictions! Which means I got four more correct than last year. Joseph scored 13 out of 24, making me the official hot celeb gossip goddess of the house for yet another year. Overall I thought the show was much improved from previous years [and I say this as a big fan of David Letterman and Jon Stewart's turns @ hosting the proceedings]. It felt more intimate and also seemed to clip along @ a steady rate, despite clocking in at almost 3.5 hours. I don't have much to say for the overall content of the show [by that I mean the actual awards] as I've pretty much exhausted that area of discussion in previous posts.
Things I liked:
- Hugh Jackman. Quite surprisingly. Don't get me wrong, he's just fine as Wolverine [I really like him in that role actually], but I'm not a big fan of the whole song and dance thing [loathe musicals/live theatre, etc.]. He brought it though...and sold it, boy howdy. He was funny without being cloying and a wee bit edgy [the whole show had edges, which was a nice change as the Oscars are generally as edgy as Jay Leno].
- Anne Hathaway proves me right. I've loved her since before Brokeback Mountain and I so don't get the epic hate for her that exists in the hot celeb gossip world. She looked amazing [her dress was one of my very favourites] and was fantastic interacting with Jackman onstage and every time they even half-showed her face she looked like she was having a great time - guffaws and all [starlets these days - they just don't guffaw]. Also, she looked very touched by her nomination when the award was being presented.
- The general diversity of the award winners - men, women, all different ages and ethnic backgrounds - it really felt global and therefore slightly less fraudulent than usual.
- Shockingly, Sean Penn. I used to really have it in for the guy...but after his turn on The Colbert Report my appreciation for him has grown in leaps and bounds. And while I was rooting for Mickey Rourke like nobody's business [it was the only award I really cared about] - his lost was kinda okay because of Penn's speech. I loved all of it - from him shouting out Rourke to all of the gay stuff. Good, good stuff.
- The intimacy. I mentioned this above, but I feel these atmosphere was developed through the set, the presentations, camera angles, seating, everything. I loved seeing all of the stars in very close proximity to one another and I liked how the pairings for award presentations were more natural than normal. And funnier. I felt like I was supposed to be entertained. And I loved, loved, loved how they had past award winners give little speeches to current nominees for the acting categories. Although they were obviously rehearsed, it appeared genuine [ha - acting!] and everyone was near tears when they were addressed. It made everyone feel honoured, not just the winners.
Stuff I hated:
- the main song and dance number with Beyonce and assorted teen-appealing people [and I say this as a High School Musical fan...when it's free on my TV...I ain't paying for that]. Why does Beyonce have to be everywhere? Also, her boob popped out, so...keep it classy Bey. I just thought the whole thing was a bit stilted and people were singing all over each other [intentional I guess, but it seemed odd]. And there should have been more choreography/fabulous outfits. Also, I hate musicals.
- the red carpet coverage. I don't ever watch red carpet stuff, except for the Oscars and maybe the Golden Globes if I'm feeling up for it. It's just always awful. I'm not sure how to improve it, but it's terrible and better left untelevised...or else just show the pretty people and have no talking.
- too many TV stars. Look, I know that Jennifer Aniston is supposed to be some big film star, but she will always be Rachel Greene to me. Also, Sarah Jessica Parker [yes, I'm aware that the SATC film banked this summer, I just don't care]. It's like, if I wanted to watch the Emmys - I would.
- some general Hollywood sexist bullcrap. As much as I loved the presentations of the awards for acting, I found that they also totally reinforced gender stereotypes and that's a little gross. The past female winners were all shown to be gushy, excitable, bawling and kinda incoherent. The past male winners were shown to be cool, confident, exuberant [which is different from excitable] and like some cool rat pack band o' brothers kinda hep cat thing. I just want chicks to be hep cats, that's all. And yeah, this is a little nitpicky, even for me.
- the salute to animation 2008. It was all American. Newsflash - the winner of the Oscar for animated short was not American. The montage was like an advert for Dreamworks/Pixar...I think they've got enough money an accolades. I wish the Academy would take a more diversified view of animation - that it can be for adults, too and not produced by the same American corporations.
But yeah, overall - a good time was had by all. I kept it classy by drinking green tea ginger ale and eating Cheetos. And now...I can return to my regularly scheduled hot celeb gossiping, free of award shows.
Monday, February 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment