Saturday, February 21, 2009

Job Interview #2

I often apply for jobs that either have little interest to me or ones that are seemingly impossible for me to get or [most rare of all] jobs that are located in different cities from me. I do these crazy things for a variety of reasons. None of which are particularly compelling, but I will share them with you now. Sometimes jobs that aren't interesting on paper in the role spec are just not interesting because the person that wrote it didn't know how to write or how to accurately describe the job. Sometimes they leave out parts that I might find fun or sometimes you go to the interview and think - why yes, this would be a neat place to work. I apply for the seemingly impossible because sometimes it might be a big bluff. You might not need four years of experience in a particular software program or specific work experience. Lately I've been seeing that I'm getting more response from the type of jobs that I used to apply for...the only difference is I have more general work experience. And the ones located not in Toronto? Well, that's mainly because Toronto and I have a difficult relationship, kinda abusive [on both ends] at times. So, sometimes I feel like I want/need to get out for good [I never planned on living here, it just happened almost 11.5 years ago].

That is where we sit right now with offical job interview #2 [because I had a phone interview and an email testing thing interview in between the first one and now - but those aren't official]. The job - if it weren't for the location - I would be 95% on board with - and that, ladies and gentlemen, is an epic high. Which is to say that I've possibly never wanted a job [that I've been interviewed for] more [okay, maybe Wonderland or even Zellers, but the reasoning was different and ultimately a bit silly]. The only problem? There are three - location, location, location. Therefore, if I do get the position - it's a rather huge decision. To move to a different city, to sort out Joseph's situation/life - it's a lot to deal with. And yes, I'm already planning ahead to when I get the job - not whether or not they will offer it to me. But yes, it's been decided that I will go to the interview, even though it will possibly result in further mental complications. I'm also a bit concerned about getting to the interview in a fit state - I get very car/bus sick. Urp.

Anyway, the job is working for a not-for-profit organization [but not a charity] where I would be second-in-command to their public relations/communications person. This is terribly exciting for me as since graduating from my journalism program back in aught-four and applying for many jobs in the fields of media/communications and going on not a single interview...I was very disillusioned. No matter what happens, I'm feeling much more confident in my decision to refocus my current job search back into this sector. I feel much more energized and such and while that might not amount to much - I think that if you can keep yourself mentally in this game of unemployment, so much the better.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the second interview!

    Even if you decide not to take the job (which they will OF COURSE offer to you), you'll have a bit more practice in polishing your interview skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Getting a response (& interview) for a job you really are interested in is a huge confidence boost. Moving would be a huge decision, of course, but that's not something you have to decide right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha - I say these two comments come in as I was watching the Oscars telecast - and @ that time my picks were ace - 100% correct! So I thought I was being congratulated on that...

    I'm still mixed on the job - I'm worried about getting these and still looking professional and not like I might barf on someone [or excessively rumpled]. I'm so concerned about getting there that I haven't given a huge consideration to the content of the interview.

    ReplyDelete