Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Lesson For Girls Everywhere

This whole Jessica Simpson is a fattie thing has been going on for quite some time and while I haven't been following it with any great tenacity [because really, the subject matter doesn't require tenacity] I guess I've been doing some inner monologuing. But it wasn't until I read this article in the fine publication that is Cracked magazine [now online!]. Yes, Cracked - for mature readers everywhere, obviously. I do implore you to read it [then clear your web browser history] and then follow along with my commentary [this is something I hope to do more of as I continue on - present articles with my commentary - saves me the time of actually thinking up my own arguments/opinions].

Off the top, I would just like to state the obvious and say that Jessica Simpson is not fat. She's gained weight, sure - but as we age, who hasn't? However, I can't really say "who cares" with regards to her figure. Everyone is ripping on her, right on up to El Presidente so it would appear that people do care. They care because she's supposed to be a superhot singing sensation...but mostly just the superhot part...let's be honest, the singing was pretty dime a dozen [though I do think that she's technically better than my girl Britney, although she lacks a certain something].

And while I do my best to emulate and admire women who kick ass and take names - women with balls [or, lady balls if you will] I will admit that when I see models and actresses and celebs and their perfect skin, hair, bodies...it gets to me. I want to look @ all of my physical imperfections and say - who cares? I might have a big nose, but I'm also smart. I might not have perfect skin, but I'm one witty chickie. My tummy will never have a six-pack, but confidence could do more for me than a flat stomach. I would like to honestly say that I would deal with any number of physical imperfections in exchange for some less superficial qualities...but I'm not entirely should I would. And while I highly doubt that women who kick ass spend a lot of time worrying about their physical problems - I would very much like to ask them [off the record] if they do worry about wrinkles and fat thighs and not being the prettiest woman in any room.

2 comments:

  1. For me, one of the best things about getting "old" is that I don't care about my appearance anymore. As long as my clothes are clean when I leave the house, I don't worry about anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These days I don't even check if my clothes are clean! Though I tend to mainly go only to the grocery store and Zellers and I don't want to look too classy.

    And while it might seem trite - the day I turned 30 was the day that I did stop caring about so many things - superficial things. I was always very into my own appearance and stuff...but for the past few months I really haven't cared @ all...

    ReplyDelete