So this one was quite the marathon. I was preparing for my interview [well, the superficial part of preparation anyway] @ 7:30am. The interview that wasn't happening until 1pm. Needless to say, not too much time was spent on these superficialities - very bare makeup, no lipstick...and I even neglected to remove the nail polish from one of my nails [yeah, I try to keep things classy around here]. I wore my hair down [uncharacteristically for professional me] to prevent the inevitable fly-aways that happpen when I wear my hair up. Then, the fateful decision - I decided to pull a Hillary and I wore a pantsuit. I oh-so rarely wear pants [other than my warm-ups] - they get in my business and make me super bitchy. I felt that pants wouldn't crumple and rumple as much as a skirt/dress might while on my public transit and 2 hour+ bus journey [I was right about this, but also super uncomfortable - technically I removed my pants before entering the house [again with the class - it never ends].
After arriving to the actual interview [early even!] I met with my interviewer - this time it was just one woman, rather than the usual panel of personalities or any kind of tag team situation. The office was strange - parts of it were like huge factory/warehouse space and we met in a little office that had three bare fluorescent tubes blazing, two chairs and a table and nothing else [not even a door]. It was pretty much in the kitchen, but there were no other employees around to disturb us...but it did feel a bit like the set of a horror film.
All this being said, the interview went quite well. The woman had over SIX PAGES of interview questions. The interview lasted almost two hours. I felt that I was overly verbose, but the interviewer also talked @ length in regards to every question and about the organization and the role. I appreciate the in-depth-ness of everything, but it was a little exhausting [I think the light made things feel kinda interrogate-y, although the interviewer was extremely nice and accommodating]. I was prepared for the interview, but I admit to being a bit off my game due to the journey. I was a bit physically uncomfortable [the pants, the bus sick feeling, hunger, etc.] and that led me to being a bit more casual with my words and careened a little bit in my answers [I did let fly with some "likes", "yknow", but thankfully no "I know, right?"s]. Overall though things seemed to go well, although I felt a bit like I was being humoured @ times [but I could just be oversensitive].
But this morning and while I was on my way there and even a bit while I was there, I was wondering why I was even bothering. I feel like ultimately I won't move and certainly not for a position that pays what it does, even if it is an ideal job for me. I don't like wasting anyone's time...particularly my own...but then again I didn't really have any other plans today so I suppose riding a rickety bus for 5 hours was in the cards. And getting to ogle the fine folks of another city. People there wore a lot of facial piercings. Huh. I wasn't aware the bus was transporting me back to 1998 when that might have been considered cool.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can understand the "not wanting to waste your/their time if you know you won't take the job" feeling. However, you never know - you might have found out at the interview that it would be perfect and thus been interested in moving.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad it went OK (but I can't imagine having a 2 hour interview after travelling - that sounds painful).
I wouldn't say it will rank in the higher places for all-time interview performance, but I was quite a bit out of it. I think if I were to travel [I left the house @ 9:30 and arrived just ahead of 1pm - the rest of the time I was in transit]...I would Hotwire myself a hotel room. Or, push for a phone interview and then go in person for a second interview [which there is for this position and I wasn't aware of until the end of this one].
ReplyDeleteThe job is perfect...for me five years ago. At that point in history I was unemployed, recently graduated [well, not quite - I graduated in July of 2004], Joseph was in a job that was pointless and he hated...we were totally up for a move and it would have been a great start to my career. These days we are kinda stuck here in a few ways.