I was bred to be a late night talk show fan and it's something that has certainly stuck. If you find me in bed before 1am on a weeknight, rest assured that one [or more] of my late night guys has gone dark for the week [on Saturday nights however, you just might find me in bed early - there's nothing on]. My dad was a big fan of Letterman and I can remember watching his old show when I was really little [this is a prime example of excellent parenting - letting your child watch a TV show that starts @ 12:30am on school nights]. I didn't really get it at first, but I grew to love a lot of the stunt-type humour and the generally bizarre nature of the program. From there it wasn't long before I was the one who was the last to bed [and first to wake up too] in our little family.
These days my favourites are just about everyone...I still love Dave, but also there is Jon and Stephen and Jimmy...and of course Conan. Mr. O'Brien was the first late night guy who was really all my own. My dad wasn't really into him as he was the hip, new dude...and apparently his show sucked for approximately three years there @ the beginning. I was too busy with my superhuge nonsexual crush on the Cone Zone. For me, Conan was the ultimate - he was a dorky blend of the non sequitur type humour of Letterman and a self-deprecating, immature nerd [I was also deeply into Beavis & Butthead @ the time, so that's where I was at]. You can see if you agree with me or with my dad when you watch Conan's first show right here. It's not the finest example of his earliest work...but I love the nervous giggling and the hot style of the Max Weinberg Seven. Things were so much simpler then...
Well, Conan has just six more shows to go on Late Night before taking over the really big show in the spring. I'm nervous for him, to be sure. All of the things that I loved about Late Night...I'm not sure they translate to the 11:30pm Leno audience. But then, so many of the things that I loved about Late Night haven't been present for the last couple of years [barring the strike episodes - all of which are pure gold, jerry, gold!]. Too heavy of a hand with the frat boy, overly scripted humour...too little natural Conan goodness. I'm hoping that the switch will freshen things up...although it will be a tough choice for me @ 11:30pm. And, I strongly urge you to tune in to the remaining shows of Late Night With Conan O'Brien - he is showing Classic Conan Clips each night [during the monologue, so you can still be in bed before 1am] and they have all been amazing thus far. Seriously - it's the last time you will have to stay up this late...Jimmy Fallon just doesn't have it...I guess I will be going to bed early!
[i'm also greatly amused by september 13th being *the* day for exciting men to enter my life...]
Friday, February 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment