Sunday, February 15, 2009

Testing, Testing 1-2-3

I applied for a flurry of jobs the other day [it was just that kinda day]. As a result of me refocusing my efforts to focus on jobs that I would really like to do in a field other than not-for-profit I found a great many jobs to be rejected for [I'm not being cynical, just realistic]. Anyway, I applied for one job where it said that one would do well to have an interest in fitness and health [it mentioned that this would be an asset to other qualifications, which I had]. While I'm obviously no expert in either field, I do have a vague interest and, when properly motivated, I can learn a great deal about any subject matter in a very short period of time [I love researching]. So I went ahead and applied.

Lo and behold, I got an actual response from the potential employer. They would like me to complete a few tests before the face-to-face job interview. A couple of the tests are fine - some copy editing and stuff like that [which, although I haven't done that as a main responsibility in ages, it's something that sticks with you]. But then, the main part of the test [which the potential employer advised was the main part of the job, should I be the lucky candidate]...it is answering questions from readers/the general public on health, diet/nutrition, fitness, exercise and lifestyle. To be clear, I wouldn't just be editing the response of some expert [which I did when I was interning @ a magazine]...I would essentially be the expert. To me, this would require a great deal more than a passing interest in the subject matter...I mean, when I see the sort of Q&A thing that magazines often have [though this position was supposed to be @ the book division of this particular publisher so now I'm thoroughly flummoxed]...I assume that someone with actual qualifications is answering them. Not just some low-level copy editor? Anyway, to sum up...while I'm thrilled to get my first real response of any sort in the media industry...this is not for me, obviously...NEXT!

But, it does make me think about testing as part of the interview process in general. For the most part, I stink. I am excellent @ typing - if you let me just do my thing. I will make plenty of typos, but even with me catching them all and correcting I type @ lightning speed. Typing tests don't allow for this sort of thing though so I tend to look like I suck. Same with other type of software tests. They are so rigid - they don't allow you to explore at all. With a bit of exploration, in the same amount of test time I could prove my talents in all of the software applications my resume says that I know [I still haven't mastered lying on my resume - it's too scary to consider doing]. On occasion I've been permitted to take the tests home - this always increases my scores dramatically...familiar computer and comfortable setting results in a big win.

2 comments:

  1. I hope Slumdog Millionarie gets LOTS of awards and I hope Heath wins for his role in Batman! I thought that movie dragged a bith but Heath had done and excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will definitely get both of your wishes. I haven't seen Slumdog - feels like a "watch on a plane" kinda film, but I haven't been airborne as much as I used to lately. I will wait until I can see it on TV.

    A lot of people thought TDK was too long - I wanted it to be longer!

    ReplyDelete