Today's blog entry was supposed to be a slam dunk - I had found this article in New York magazine [last night] and it was pretty misogynistic. I was going to post and and say something along the lines of "keep it classy, England" and wipe my hands of it. But then, they had to go and update the article to make it slightly less awful. Only slightly though. So I am going to go ahead and talk about it anyway. Please see the article in question here. Although the update makes the actions of the Bank of England less reprehensible...it's still pretty gross that a consultant would make those sorts of recommendations [and England in general seems to be much more sexist than America/Canada]. Heels and make-up? Shoes and skirts matching [what if - god forbid - you want to wear pants?]? Modestly-sized handbags? It's ridiculous. I'm all for creating a professional environment @ work [in fact I prefer overdressing to looking casual], but I think that this type of dress code that targets specifically women is rather insane. Though I think what might be worse is the fact that women actually buy into this. There wouldn't be a market for this type of thinking unless people actually followed it. So ladies, why bother with that post-graduate degree - what's really holding you back is your frumpy handbag, bare face and flat shoes.
So yes, I am a feminist. An unapologetic one. And I think that everyone out there should be one too. I think if you really think about it, you probably already are [unless you're a huge jerk]. Because all being a feminist means is that you believe in a doctrine that advocates social, political and all other rights of women be equal to those of men. That's it. Doesn't matter if you're Hillary Clinton or Gloria Steinem or Jane Fonda...or if you are a housewife with eight kids. It's not about your education or social status or how much money you have - all being a feminist means is that you believe in equality for women. Just today I read an interview with Kelly Clarkson where she said she wasn't a feminist and was quite adamant about this statement. This was after she was complaining about not being treated fairly in the music industry as a female singer/songwriter. As much as I love Kelly [and I do] - this is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard her say [and I've seen From Justin To Kelly...multiple times]. Ladies - just get over it...there is nothing wrong with being a feminist...there is something wrong with *not* being a feminist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment